PDA

View Full Version : moonlights when should they be on?

vittoria
02/21/2007, 09:29 PM
when should i turn on moonlights nd for how long.How does this help my coarls .Help and thanks

sir_dudeguy
02/21/2007, 09:43 PM
the name "moon" lights suggests that they are meant to simulate the moon...so i'd say run them at night whenever the other lights are off. I just leave mine on all the time since they're LED's and those last forever...just one less timer i gotta buy.

It doesnt help corals in any way really...mostly just for the looks. I'm one that is a believer of making everything as natural as possible...so having a moon would be natural(er) to me rather than no light at all. So i think they help somehow, altho i couldnt tell you where they'd help.

I know some fish like them for spawning but not sure about corals' use of them.

drummereef
02/21/2007, 11:48 PM
I leave mine on 24/7.

bbehring
02/21/2007, 11:59 PM
Check out the lebos lunar tracker unit. I have this unit and highly recommend it. Completely simulates the moon cycle. The lights stay on 24/7 and then as each day passes the output changes to simulate moon cycle. http://www.thelebos.com/main/cgi-bin/lunartracker.cgi

InvaderJim
02/22/2007, 06:46 AM
That lunar tracker moonlight thing looks pretty nice. Kinda pricey for how simple it is though.

jbittner
02/22/2007, 09:34 AM
24/7--I'm to cheap to buy another timer.

bbehring
02/22/2007, 11:39 AM
Ya they are a bit pricey, considering what I have read/viewed in the DIY forum on $10 moon lights. However, I am real happy with them and would recommend them as an added luxury.