PDA

View Full Version : Heat issues

gdavis17
02/22/2007, 10:00 AM
When it comes to a return pump, is pump heat an issue? I was going to get a mag 5 to use in sump as a return pump on my 30 gallon, but don't want a significant raise in water temp from the pump. I know mags raise the water temp a couple degrees, but is it really a big deal? If so, can anyone recommend a good reliable pump (roughly 500-700 gph) to use as a return in my sump. thanks in advance.

illal
02/22/2007, 10:18 AM
generaly the lower the watts the less heat

u418936
02/22/2007, 10:57 AM
You could get a pump that runs outside the sump, so most of the heat goes into your air instead of your water.

reefworm
02/22/2007, 11:06 AM
I have a mag5 for my 29, and it definitely adds heat to the system - about 2-3 degrees F. I did find, however, that two ventilation fans blowing over the water under the hood did a good job of equalizing things at around 81~82 degrees F. I suppose you could add another fan over the sump, if you have one, for more evaporative cooling if you need it.

Racso
02/22/2007, 11:09 AM
I've always wondered how much heat a pump will really add. I can understand it can be an issue if you have MH or something else that adds a lot of heat, or if the room is warm to begin with. But I have 5 pumps on my tank and I know my heater still works to heat the tank from a 72 to 74 degree room up to 77.

jimwat
02/22/2007, 11:09 AM
I run a mag 9.5 and do not have any heat problems. Ambient temp in the house in the low to mid 70's most of the time, and I keep the tank temp between 78 and 79. I have fans that will turn on automatically when needed, but I only hear them running in the middle of the day when all of the lights are on. Compared to the MH lights, the pump is a minimal heat source.

BTW, I also have a mag 3, two MJ1200s, and a Tunze 6060 in the tank and sump.

gdavis17
02/22/2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I think I'm going to stick with the mag pump. It is a good, reliable submersible pump. thanks again.

AZDesertRat
02/22/2007, 12:47 PM
There are much better pumps than a Mag, two of them being Eheim and OceanRunner. I prefer the OceanRunners myself as they are much less wattage for the same amount of water pumped, are very quiet and are less than half the cost of the comparable Eheims. The higher the watts per gallon of water pumped the more heat the pump produces due to work not being performed or inefficiencies. OR pumps are on sale at Drs. Foster & Smith.