PDA

View Full Version : tang question...sorry

JNye
02/22/2007, 08:01 PM
yeah this is my first post.
i read the sticky. and i know the arguments and i am just looking for suggestions from people with experience keeping zebrasoma tangs. i happen to like them.

i have two currently. a yellow and a brown. they are in a 40 gallon tank 4ft long. i happen to believe gallons mean squat compared to length...i do think width is important too but currently i think12 inches is plenty. they are both juvvys and about 2-3 inches. they get allong great and i have had no aggression issues...added together. i want at least 2 more...purple and a sailfin.
my upgrade tank...ready in about 3-4 months will be 6'x2'x18"
can't really remember the gallonage i figured but whatever 130ish i think. is this absolutely out of the question or what?
i also would plan to swap out the sailfin as needed as i know they can get quite large, but the others should be fine. just don't know about the aggression issue...
that is why i would prefer hearing from those of you who have actually kept multiple zebrasoma tangs and please feel free to tell me about yourexperiences. if you haven't done this then save it, have read all the same stuff you have
thank you. ps don't mean to be rude but i have heard it from other forums and usually its just a bunch of people telling me like they know...and their only experience is the same crap i have read. again thank you and sorry its so long.

cmulawka
02/22/2007, 08:45 PM
hahaha poo-tang just had to comment on that.

SDguy
02/22/2007, 09:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9311128#post9311128 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmulawka
hahaha poo-tang just had to comment on that.

yeah, I laughed at that too...

when I was 10.

wilvivas
02/23/2007, 01:17 AM
i have PB. tang and sailfin together in a 90. sailfin is a juvi and kept in check by th PB.
only aggression is @ night a little. they like the same spot!
i say go for it, get the sailfin last. it's an a#$!
good luck

JNye
02/23/2007, 05:54 AM
really? thanks, i don't have any experience with the sailfin, but good to know. also got to thinkin, as the sailfin will prolly outgrow the tank and i said i could swap out for another juvvy, would this be a bad idea...adding a juvvy with three larger zebrasomas? or whenever the sailfin gets to big i'm done with them. or you said they're tough guys i guess...he could handle it. i'm pretty sure i will try this, but if there are any problems i won't hesitant to blow it up if i have too.

mrp2g
02/23/2007, 07:55 AM
You have a yellow tang and powder brown tang. IMHO, only add the purple last. 120 is a decent size tank, but all four of those tangs will present a problem at some point in time.
In my 150, I have a purple, mimic and hippo. They are all about 4 inches. They has been more issues now after 2+ years together as they grow. These three tangs in 120 is ok.

Gillybaby
02/23/2007, 09:43 AM
I have had 3 yellow tangs together for just over 18 months (along with a Hippo and Orange Shoulder). They chase each other regularly but it is mostly handbags. I've found the key is to keep them very very well fed. When I had a cyano problem and cut down on feeding two of the yellows attempted to kill the smallest. Increased the feeding again and all was well again.

JNye
02/23/2007, 05:13 PM
great idea gilly...yeah i feed my fish very well...maybe that is why i am having absolutely no issues...i feed sparingly often...
btw its not a powder brown its a scopas tang
its dissappointing you don't think i can get the sailfin mrp2g...as that is my fav of the bunch, save gem and black...but could never afford either...i think this may cause me to try one anyway...but as i said if i have any issues i will remove the problem not to worried about losing the cost of the fish as long as they all live.