PDA

View Full Version : Big Squid

Lenny C
02/22/2007, 10:22 PM
We have a thread going on about a big squid that was caught that has turned into somewhat of a "fishing practice and ethics" discussion. Just thought I'd share it. Here is the link to the artical and the fourm... I'm FishyBusiness on this fourm.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070222/ap_on_sc/new_zealand_colossal_squid_4

http://www.cvreefers.org/showthread.php?t=6942

Dave

rabid frog
02/22/2007, 10:52 PM
read your thread. yea how about a new idea........catch it, tracking device, throw it back in, and see where the big squid takes you?? yes a very novel idea, cant believe the big $$ scientists have not thought of that one yet? or even the fishers.............sometimes it amazes me ..but i agree totally with you

JFristoe
02/23/2007, 08:25 AM
Neat catch. This is probably one of 3 or 4 caught per year?

scottras
02/23/2007, 09:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9312261#post9312261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rabid frog
read your thread. yea how about a new idea........catch it, tracking device, throw it back in, and see where the big squid takes you?? yes a very novel idea, cant believe the big $$ scientists have not thought of that one yet? or even the fishers.............sometimes it amazes me ..but i agree totally with you

I think the issue is the health of the squid when it is brought up. Many deep sea creatures are likely to die after the journey. AFAIK it is from temperature change and possibly pressure too.

Peter Eichler
02/23/2007, 09:25 AM
It most likely would have died anyhow from the sound of the condition it was in. So I think it's the more responsible thing for them to have kept it and allowed scientists to study it.

On another note, it's really tough to advocate conservationism and be a part of the marine aquarium hobby without coming across as a hypocrite. Fact is, for every fish in this hobby that lives over a year in captivity several have perished. I don't even want to know what the real figures are because I fear I'm being conservative, but I bet just for every fish that makes it to the LFS at least 3 or 4 have to die. Then there's the whole debate on what cyanide fishing is doing to the reefs, but we'll save that one for another time :)

Alphabet
02/24/2007, 11:03 AM
One of my LFS let me know that they sometimes have a 50% survival rate or less, depends on time of year, location being shipped from and species. Just a thought.....

Lenny C
02/26/2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I do realize that by the time it hit the surface its chances were prety slim... but it still ticks me off none the less. I didn't know it but apparently one of my good friends on CVR and here on RC, Tacocat, did some marien reserach where they caught varius animals and he said that this type of thing happens all the time and that it is not done with any malicious intent.