PDA

View Full Version : attempting to automate my tank for 7-10day vacations, which feeder?

miatawnt2b
02/23/2007, 09:00 AM
I am looking for a reliable feeder to feed my tank flake food for a period of up to 10 days. I would love to hear some experiences and suggestions on which one to buy.

-J

oldsaltman
02/23/2007, 09:07 AM
I hav one that I have used that works for me. It will only do dry stuff so I feed mine frozen before I leave and set up the feeder.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/115850auto_feeder.jpg

kodyboy
02/23/2007, 11:15 AM
Unless you have fish that require constant feeding (young, anthias etc.) I usually feed heavily, put in some nori and then don't feed them for a week or so. I have found that this works fine as most species don't get fed nearly as often in the wild as we do in our aquariums and a week or so without food does not bother them. This also mitigates waste buildup during the vacation. I usually do a water change a few days before I go as well, and make sure the sump is filled or the autotop is all set, although both of those should really be monitored by someone. This would not work for all species, but for many.

keeperofthefish
02/23/2007, 12:15 PM
I used the Eheim feeder for two weeks and fish were happy and healthy. I used a combination of Formula 2 flakes and Formula 1 pellets. That's what I had available.

miatawnt2b
02/23/2007, 12:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9315845#post9315845 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keeperofthefish
I used the Eheim feeder for two weeks and fish were happy and healthy. I used a combination of Formula 2 flakes and Formula 1 pellets. That's what I had available.

Yea, the eheim feeder looked pretty nice to me.

pvtschultz
02/23/2007, 12:23 PM
I too don't feed if I'm going to be gone for less than 2 weeks. I usually just have my mother-in-law fill my auto-topoff tank so that doesn't run out though. When I get home, they are waiting for me, but not is any worse shape than they were when I left. IIRC, I have read about fish normally fasting in the wild to clean out their guts (and food can become scarce), so I wouldn't worry about it.

kodyboy
02/23/2007, 01:27 PM
I have a feeling that I should not feed for a few weeks myself......Naaaah

Steverino
02/23/2007, 01:34 PM
I've got 2 kinds, the wheel kind shown in the second post, and one called a daily double? or whatever, I think they sell them at WalMart for $10. Anywho, both work fine, but the one recommendation I have after using several times (on my former freshwater tanks,) is that any kind of humidity that gets up into those little chambers of flake ends up gunking them up. I have since switched over to only using them with pellet and crumble food. I once came back to a feeder full of gunky flake, and apparently not a single bit fell into the tank the whole time!!
Also, turn them on 24 hours before you leave to make sure they are set to the right schedule, that they are indeed turning and working, and that the food falls into the tank as you expect it to.
hth.

beaniebeagle
02/23/2007, 02:25 PM
they will be fine without food for that long