PDA

View Full Version : Live Sand

an411
02/23/2007, 10:33 AM
I am looking for some input on filling my tank with Sand. I have a 120 gallon tank. I want a DSB I am thinking about 4 inches so I know that Live sand is going to be expensive. I calculated that i am going to need about 240 lbs of sand. What kind of sand do you guys recommend? Should I use Live sand or just go with Regular Home depot Sand? Any suggestions are appreciated. I Plan on eventually graduating to a reef tank. I dont't know if that has any affect on my decision.

Thanks

IMAGINEER
02/23/2007, 11:15 AM
I have learned that just make sure it has an argonite base.
I dont think 4" is a good idea , maybe do a 2-3" base

IMAGINEER
02/23/2007, 11:16 AM
I do wish there is a place to buy all the sand in one dump. Thats always been my problem.
200# of sand and Im all over the city !!

Randall_James
02/23/2007, 11:18 AM
I prefer the "Reef Grade" sand from CaribSea.

As far as "Live Sand" goes, they sell a product that from my experience does seem to assist in the cycle process.

No need to buy all 240Lbs of it however. Maybe two 20lb bags and the other 200Lbs of the "reef grade" sand. I would just mix them up a bit as you add them.

Alternately, you could just use a silica based sand and allow your live rock to populate it. It will take a bit longer but the cost difference would be pretty dramatic ($20 vs $250). Just rinse the silica sand prior to use. Stories of "silicate" issues are greatly exaggerated...

I like aragonite sand myself for a couple reasons. It is natural for one, also the hardness. If you get a piece of silica sand between your magfloat and glass, it IS going to scratch your tank. The agagonite "can" scratch the glass but you have to work at it a bit. The glass is harder than the aragonite and so you get a bit of safety margin like that.

You could also use some live sand from a local reefer to seed your dead sand. Just a matter of how much trouble and expense you are willing to deal with.

virginiadiver69
02/23/2007, 11:22 AM
If you want to do a DSB 3" or more is recommended. I am in the process of putting one together myself. I am using mostly Caribsea oolitic and will add about 20-30lbs live sand on top. I am now shopping around for good quality live sand. I have heard of people using regular play sand but I just don't trust it. Aragonite all the way.
Good luck

six.line
02/23/2007, 11:24 AM
Randall brings up excellent points.

I would add, however, that if you wanted to, you could only go with a 1 inch sand base and then add a bucket (home depot style) of sand filled 3/4 of the way. This will definitely give you your 'deep sand' base, eh? :D It might be less sand for you to purchase and still give you the added benefit of a deep sand base.

Randall_James
02/23/2007, 11:25 AM
More info on DSB (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm)

enemec1
02/23/2007, 11:35 AM
quick question, Can you add reef grade sand to some sand from HD. or would there be a problem with the two typs of sand mixing?

Randall_James
02/23/2007, 11:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9315462#post9315462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by enemec1
quick question, Can you add reef grade sand to some sand from HD. or would there be a problem with the two typs of sand mixing? They will stratify over time.

Density and grain size are different and the silica will settle to the bottom (is much more dense)

rustybucket145
02/23/2007, 12:10 PM
It will be fine to mix them. I personally would go with 100% HD sand and get a few cups of sand from a local established reef tank and seed the sand bed with it. There's literally no reason (other than looks) to spend a ton of money on sand. The HD sand will probably be silica sand which is fine in reef tanks, the LFS sand will be aragonite based which is also fine for fish tanks.

The reason that people use aragonite doesn't really make much sense to me. They say it helps 'buffer' the water (keeps calcium/alk in check) but the aragonite won't start 'buffering' the water until the ph is somewhere around 7. The fact is that if the ph in your tank is 7 you are going to have some MAJOR problems!! So there's really no benefit that I see to using aragonite other than looks or preference.

an411
02/23/2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah that makes sense to me I think that i might just go with some home depot sand and then layer some agronite sand over it to save some money and possibly get the better look that everyone claims you get from using it

TekCat
02/23/2007, 01:51 PM
rustybucket145, I've heard somewhere what in the sand bed, where anoxic/anaerobic conditions occur, pH could be a lot less than what's in tank. I think that is one of the sand clumping causes. Silica sand does not "buffer". So, yeah, it makes sense to lay a layer of silica sand on the bottom, and aragonite sand on top. jmo

Ulric
02/23/2007, 02:09 PM
Only thing with the silica (ie: Home depot sand), you need to rinse the snot out of it. There tends to be a lot of organic...junk in it.

Randall_James
02/23/2007, 02:10 PM
TekCat is correct, I have to supplement aragonite sand in my tanks on a yearly basis and they see a ph of no lower than 8.0 due to kalk dosing.

I like the look of silica sand (is usually brighter) but it is murder on glass tanks that get cleaned on a regular basis (viewing panes) if you get even a little bit careless

enemec1
02/23/2007, 02:39 PM
here is the advantage for me I want to use it in a 70g fuge with a DSB. the display I will not need that much sand so I could use the aragonite but even so will that not still scrach the glass when cought in the mag float?

enemec1
02/23/2007, 10:48 PM
what sand should I buy kolorscape (blue and clear bag) or quickcreet alpurpous sand?

Randall_James
02/23/2007, 10:53 PM
No the aragonite will not scratch the glass (well not easily)

Silica on the other hand will scratch the first time and every time it is caught in the magfloat.. You just need to have a differernt system for cleaning the glass near the level of the substrate.

enemec1
02/24/2007, 03:37 PM
I bought a bag of kolorscape and a bag of quickcreet neither of them fizzed. can I still use them?

TekCat
02/24/2007, 11:19 PM
I've heard that folks are using kolorscape without any problems. Fizz test tests if the sand is calcium based. If it doesn't then it most likely silica based.

savethereef
02/25/2007, 02:25 AM
ok guys i just got a 180 and dont want to cough up 250 dollars for sand. i can get it for about 1 dollar a pound. or i can buy dead reef sand for $39 for 50 pounds so i would save some $$$$. So if i get dead sand and about 20 pounds of LS that is more of a sugar type eould the sugar size stay on the top or will it go to the bottom under the reef sand.

enemec1
02/25/2007, 08:20 AM
the smaller size will make its way to the bottom

Shagsbeard
02/25/2007, 09:34 AM
Just a warning to savethereef.... What typically happens to people who cut corners to save "$250 on sand" is that they end up with stuff that they regret doing later. Then they go out and spend the $250 on sand that they probably should have spent anyway. Lighting is the same. Spend $250 on some PC lights and you're probably going to be selling them for $25 in a garage sale when you replace them with better lights later. I'd recommend saving up about two grand before you start your tank, or aquireing bits and pieces over the course of a year or so before setting up your tank. Sand is a major expense... most people spend more on sand than they did for their tank. Wait until you start shopping for rock. Ouch.