PDA

View Full Version : 3 gal nano overflow ?

ReefWidowed
02/23/2007, 02:02 PM
So, I picked up one of the 3gallon TOM Deco kits around Christmas with the intent on using it as a dwarf seahorse tank, but I decided that I wanted to add a 5gallon fuge to aid in pod production and add some water volume, and hopefully a little more stability.

I had intended on making a hang on overflow, and was going to use 3.5 disk cases to make the boxes.

Well, with the advent of CDs, I'm having trouble finding disks, at least the way they use to sell them.

I'm just not sure what to use to construct this overflow box...I feel like I'm working in dollhouse scale, anything that I use that is small enough, is too small to function, especially in the world of tubing.

Is there anyone out there working on a similar scale that can point me in the right direction?

THANKS!!
Jennifer

ReefWidowed
02/23/2007, 07:09 PM
bump

lat0403
02/23/2007, 10:38 PM
You might try amazon.com. I searched and a few came up. I know at least one of them has a case included, but I don't know if it's the same as what you're talking about.

drjuice28
02/23/2007, 11:37 PM
I'd just go with acrylic, do it yourself style. The stuff is really easy to work with, and you'd be able to get by on a really thin sheet for something that low volume. I'd bet the whole project could be done for less than 20 bucks. All you need is a torch/heat source to soften it for bends. If there are no bends, just silicone to seal it!

ReefWidowed
02/24/2007, 09:39 PM
OK, Disk box doesn't look like a viable option....anyone have any ideas?

murfman
02/25/2007, 07:56 AM
Go to a hobby store and get some acrylic. Like Dr. Juice said, you can have a HOB for less than $20.

ReefWidowed
02/26/2007, 03:06 PM
Excellent, I will be checking out the craft store later. What would you recommend using as a tubing? I'm afraid something small enough for scale wouldn't hold a siphon....any ideas?

Avalanche1201
02/26/2007, 04:54 PM
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12402

i found that w/ google one day..im going to make something close to it for my 3gal pico. Im hopen to make an ~3gal HOB fuge

ReefWidowed
02/26/2007, 07:07 PM
I'm afraid of the stability of a 3gal fuge on a 3gal tank. I was originally adding the fuge as a safe place for the heater/filter because it is for Dwarf Seahorses

Is it my imagination, or does a 3gal HOB on a 3gal tank seem to be a tip hazard?