PDA

View Full Version : PM Kalk reactor help

reefez
02/23/2007, 03:25 PM
So I want a kalk topoff system. How does the PM Kalk reactor hook up to a auto topoff system? Can I hook up my r/o to the reactor for the fresh water feed to the reactor? Does anyone use one of these?

jimmyj7090
02/23/2007, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't connect RODI directly to a kalk reactor. Risky and not good for the RODI membrane to have it hooked up to a constant top off (bad for it because it would be turning on and off all day long. Risky because if you ever lost some water due to a leak or something you could really PH spike the tank with the kalk.)

IIRC/IME kalk reactors are typically fed from a resivor of RODI. The auto top off system ideally will pump water into the reactor, which will in turn push kalk water from the reactor into the tank.

Also, FWIW, I would not suggest running kalk through a float valve, it's will be super prone to clogging.

reefez
02/23/2007, 04:25 PM
Your plan sounds good. So if I have the tank in the house, and the R/O holding tank in the garage then what do I need to do to have the R/O tank feed the Kalk reactor? Would I use something like the device from autotopoff.com and have it in the sump under the tank so when the water level drops in the sump it turns a pump on in the R/O tank which feeds water to the reactor which then drips Kalk into the sump, and clicks off when it reaches the float in the sumn.. This sounds right to me. Is It or am I way off?

lvpd186
02/23/2007, 05:02 PM
I don't have a PM Kalk reactor but I have another brand. The way I hooked it up was the following: A float valve was put in the sump (like the ones on auto top off.com). Anytime the water level drops it turns on a dosing pump (I use an aquamedic, but I'm not sure I would recommend it because sometimes it makes a loud knock sound with it turns on). The dosing pump draws water out of a RO/DI tank and "pushes" it in to the Kalk reactor. After the water passes through the reactor it drips in to the sump. So basically this setup takes care of adding Kalk and keeping the water level in the system topped off. Hope that helps.:D

melt
02/23/2007, 06:15 PM
I have a PM reactor..both reefer are correct.

jimmyj7090
02/23/2007, 06:30 PM
There are many ways you can get the water from the RODI to the holding tank.

The way I do it is to have a float valve in the holding tank and an autoshut off on the RODI. A line is run from the RODI to the float valve. I'll turn on the RODI until the holding tank is full, then shut it off (the float valve and auto shut off are to prevent accidents.)

I use a peristaltic pump to feed the kalk reactor continuiously, but it can done just as well with a pump and a level sensor set up.

*clarification of terms - when I say float valve, I'm talking about a mechanical float valve not a level sensor switch. I don't know what is or isn't correct, but I figured I should say something since different posts are using "float valve" to refer to different things.

reefez
02/23/2007, 11:06 PM
LVPD186 That helps. Kind of unclear at first but clear as day now.

jkapit
02/24/2007, 10:17 AM
If cost is not a major issue. Go with a Litermeter III with the auto topoff sensor.

I have a RO/DI rservoir in my basement and use the Spectrapure auto top off system to keep that reservoir +-a few inches of water.

Then the litermeter III draws the fresh RO/DI water from the reservior and pushes it into the PM Kalkreactor and pushes out saturated lime/kalk water. The litermeter III connects directly to a auto top off sensor that is activated by a low sump level reading. It all works on air pressure so nothing clogs up.

It works flawlessly. Great products.

jtravis2
03/05/2007, 12:09 AM
I just started up my PM Kalk Reactor; its hooked to an Aqua Medic Dosing Pump which is run by an Aqua Controller Jr. RO/DI is provided via 5GL bucket.
When the AC Jr. turns the pump on it takes a while for the kalk to start dosing, doses a while then stops (losing siphon from kalk reactor to sump), then starts dosing again, check valve installed between make up water and pump. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?
Jim