PDA

View Full Version : is this good or bad?

marc200
02/23/2007, 04:50 PM
just bought 20kg of live rock and have noticed this polyp growing on it is it ok or do i have to remove?

sorry about poor photo quality

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/peckman/23022007476.jpg

they are completely brown no color on them but have been spreading quickly

thanks

jap1
02/23/2007, 04:55 PM
I'm not too sure from the pic, but it could be:

A) Brown-Star Polyps - GOOD :-)
B) Aiptaisia - BAD :-(

You might want to send some clearer pics if you can.

Paintbug
02/23/2007, 05:03 PM
looks like clove polyps, or maybe Anthelia. its not Aiptasia for sure. i would flip that rock a little so they get light, and let them grow little to make it easier to ID. oh yea

[welcome]

marc200
02/23/2007, 05:30 PM
here is a better pic

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/peckman/P1010133.jpg

hope thats better

marc200
02/23/2007, 05:53 PM
what about these guys might have to wait for them to grow to get better ID

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/peckman/P1010131-2.jpg

thanks for all your help

Krazy
02/23/2007, 05:57 PM
I agree with anthellia or clove polyps and the 2nd pic they look like some zoo's :)

Chaotic Reefer4u
02/23/2007, 06:02 PM
good score, give them both some light and they will be fine, hope this help's!

Paintbug
02/23/2007, 06:38 PM
upon further review with a better pic im pretty sure the first ones are Tubipora sp. aka Organ-pipe coral.

second ones look like some type of zoanthid.

jap1
02/23/2007, 07:24 PM
Definately not aiptaisia. Thanks for posting better pics. Congratulations on some nice hitchhikers!

marc200
02/23/2007, 07:57 PM
so that’s good wont have to get rid of them was a bit worried as i read that star polyps can sting other inverts is that right

thanks a lot for all your help everyone

jap1
02/23/2007, 08:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9319603#post9319603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marc200
so that’s good wont have to get rid of them was a bit worried as i read that star polyps can sting other inverts is that right

I'm not sure if that's true. I have a huge forest of Green Star Polyps that cohabitates just fine with everything else. There's even some Xenia and some Clove polyps growing in the midst of them. And if by inverts you mean crabs, shrimp, etc., mince are constantly crawling all over them. If they're bad for a tank, I've never heard it before.

Lacy
02/23/2007, 08:37 PM
I quess it all depends on what you want in your tank! I paid $20.00 for a very small piece of neon/flourescent green star polyup. It did very well in my tank. I thought that it was beautiful!! I paid more for a smaller piece so that I could get the wonderful neon color, but now my tank is almost all neon green!! It over took a really cool green coral along with a few other things. I have since learned my lesson and I will only have such encrusting/rapidly spreading "things" in my tank if they are isolated from the rest of the tank. Such as not sitting on my live rock where it can spread to all my other pieces or rock and coral. I will now have it on a piece of rock off in the sand bed by itself seperate !! I wished that I have taken some photos of the tank before I started "ripping" it apart to frag/sell/destroy alot of the neon green star polyps. It really was beautiful from a photography point of view. We will be transfering everything from a 130 gal to a 180 gal so I need to make sure that there are no stray polyps when I do the conversion. This is going to be a pain!
LOL,
Renee

Lacy
02/23/2007, 09:11 PM
I quess it all depends on what you want in your tank! I paid $20.00 for a very small piece of neon/flourescent green star polyup. It did very well in my tank. I thought that it was beautiful!! I paid more for a smaller piece so that I could get the wonderful neon color, but now my tank is almost all neon green!! It over took a really cool green coral along with a few other things. I have since learned my lesson and I will only have such encrusting/rapidly spreading "things" in my tank if they are isolated from the rest of the tank. Such as not sitting on my live rock where it can spread to all my other pieces or rock and coral. I will now have it on a piece of rock off in the sand bed by itself seperate !! I wished that I have taken some photos of the tank before I started "ripping" it apart to frag/sell/destroy alot of the neon green star polyps. It really was beautiful from a photography point of view. We will be transfering everything from a 130 gal to a 180 gal so I need to make sure that there are no stray polyps when I do the conversion. This is going to be a pain!
LOL,
Renee

Reno Reef
02/23/2007, 11:54 PM
I wish I would have got cool coral hitchhikers with my recent purchase of LR... all I got was a ton of aiptaisia.