PDA

View Full Version : can i superglue mushrooms to liverock??

oxkisses12ox
02/23/2007, 05:04 PM
the pet store sold me 4 mushrooms for 15 dollars, because they had a lot on a rock and i wanted a few only, so he took them off with a razor..... i need to stick them to a rock so can i use just regular super glue??

Paintbug
02/23/2007, 05:07 PM
its near impossible to get them to stick with super glue. if you have some sand, or substrate on the foot of the mushroom you can. but there must be some there. the easiest way i have found is to put the shrooms on a rock, or frag disk. then cover them with some bridal vial, or plastic mesh. then rubber band the mesh down so the mushrooms cant escape. in a few days- a week they will attach themselves to the rock.

Brenden
02/23/2007, 05:15 PM
Glue def will not hold. I have used the method above and I have also used toothpicks and rubberbands. Just stab it and hold it to the rock with rubberbands over the end of the toothpick

oxkisses12ox
02/23/2007, 05:17 PM
do you think they will die?because i was messing with them for a good 20 minutes trying to catch them in my tank!! i really hope i didnt stress them too much! i crowded them all on a rock that i put on the sand bed so it gets less flow and crowded them all together and put a little rock over them so they dont float away but will they eventually spread apart a little?]

oxkisses12ox
02/23/2007, 05:17 PM
wow are they really that durable????

Paintbug
02/23/2007, 06:47 PM
corals are very hardy. you can even cut those mushrooms into 4 pieces like a pie shape, then they will regrow in to full mushrooms in no time, just smaller ones. theres a lot ways to get a mushroom to grab hold. heres another method http://www.garf.org/trever/MUSH.html

dpearly88
02/23/2007, 11:07 PM
Super Glues has worked once in a blue moon for me. But it's royal pain and takes a many tries.

Frick-n-Frags
02/23/2007, 11:44 PM
here is the Frick-n-Frags technique that maybe only loses 1 out of 10:

1) grab the box of kleenex
2) the superglue gel obviously
3) the rock they will go on
4) get your shrooms in a small thing of water near the gluing station (big enough to eventually dunk the rock into-but not yet)
5) start with a dry rock or if it is one from the tank, set it out and really dab dry the spots where you will put glue.
6) put down glue blobs on the rock for each shroom
7) (here's the only possibly tricky part) one-at-a-time, get the shrooms facedown on 2 fingers. with your other hand take the tip of a kleenex and daub off the water from the mushroom's base. start with a small piece of corner because you don't want the whole mushroom sticking in the kleenex :D (not good)
when the shroom base is dry, put a small blob of SG on the base and with the 2-fingers still stretched out holding the shroom, set the shroom base into a glue blob. it helps to pick the rock up and sort of put the rock to the shroom so you don't have to flip your hand over and possibly lose the shroom.

Work steadily, but take your time. A little airtime won't hurt the shrooms. it should only take a half a minute a shroom once you get rolling.

8) when all shrooms are on the rock, carefully lower the rock in the water the shrooms were in to set the glue, rinse the little slick off, and re-wet the shrooms, then into the tank.

the glue going onto dry surfaces makes a huge difference. shroom bases aren't as slimy as xenia or finger sinularias which are pretty tough to glue, so they and zoos work great with this technique.

oxkisses12ox
02/24/2007, 04:42 PM
my mushrooms are in my tank under a rock for now ( they just floated there ) i am leaving them there until i glue them tonight will they die soon since they arent attatched?

ShannonT
02/24/2007, 04:52 PM
They won't die if they're not attached. And if you wait long enough, you may find that they find somewhere to attach to themselves. Or your clowns may move them for you!

csb
02/24/2007, 04:55 PM
Mushrooms will attach themselves. I've had loose mushrooms because sometimes they like to travel, and therefore will detach themselves from a rock in search of a new home. Anyway, if you take a shroom and a small rock fragment, stick the two together in a low flow spot for a week, it'll attach. Either that, or use the bridal veil mesh to hold the shroom in place for a week and it'll attach... but take notice that if the shroom isn't happy in it's location, it's likely to jump ship and hit the currents to travel to a new home (where it will attach for sure)

--csb

Frick-n-Frags
02/24/2007, 04:59 PM
no, they won't die. If they are sitting quietly in some rubble and look like they aren't going to blow away, you could even leave them. They will attach to something in a few days.
I just found one behind the rocks that jumped ship a while ago. Who knows how long it's been in the dark back there.

also, if the shrooms are really small, it is tough to put the glue on them, so you just have to dry the base and stick it onto the glue on the rock. You'll figure it out :)