PDA

View Full Version : question about blackcap basslet?

lynn53
02/23/2007, 05:39 PM
Well I got my first about a month ago. She went through quarantine fine and has been in the main tank a couple weeks.
I think she swims kinda weird, it's like she rests herself on a rock crevice and then swims out with her head down and tail up ...kinda jutting around like that. She is not totally vertical, but definitely her head is lower then her tail in position. She eats and such and then goes back into the crevice and rests her body there. Is this normal behavior for one of these? She seems totally fine as far as color, eating well, very healthy looking. If anything a tad fat in the belly. ???
thanks

jmicky41
02/23/2007, 11:11 PM
I've heard that fish that swim tail up may have been injured while being decompressed. Being that black caps are found somewhat deep, this seems like a logical explanation for yours.

55gSW
02/24/2007, 06:54 AM
Blackcaps tend to position themselves with the rockwork rather than the substrate so if the rocks have an incline the fish will position herself the same way! Don't be alarmed if you see the fish upside down within the rocks either. ;) And yes it's normal for them to rest on the rocks like that.

I love blackcaps! I just wish I had a tank I could keep another one in....(mine died during the hurricanes of 2004 along with most of my reef tank). Very cool and beautiful fish!!

Got a pic?

;)

lynn53
02/24/2007, 12:34 PM
thanks, I won't worry then.
jmicky...I think that goes for most other type of fish.
I'll try to get a pic and post.
I introduced a smaller gramma and I thought they'd have they're own area's ...but they totally hang out together all the time!