PDA

View Full Version : MH questions

engine
02/23/2007, 07:09 PM
Looking for lighting that will allow me to keep lps/softies to a clam or two in my 75 gallon. Ive heard several people say that 250w DE is the best overall option, so I was thinking maybe 1 250w DE in the middle with two 48" super actinics to supplement it. Do you agree this would be sufficient?
while shopping on Premium Aquatics, I notice that I have several options and trying to decide between electronic or HQI ballast. What ballast would you suggest....keeping heat, electricity cost and bulb life in mind, while still providing enough light?
also, do you think I would need a luminarc or L3 reflector or would I be ok without it? thanks in advance, eric

engine
02/26/2007, 08:58 AM
^

Jeremy B.
02/26/2007, 04:43 PM
I agree that 250 DE's are the best way to go, however you could even get by with 150's if you wanted to.

Doing one single halide isn't going to work that well if you have a center brace on the tank. It will cast a shadow that will be very annoying when you look at the tank.

Do you have a canopy you are putting all of this in? IF so, what are the dimensions of that?

Thanks,
Jeremy

engine
02/26/2007, 10:10 PM
Im planning on building a canopy, but wanted to figure out my lighting situation first.
so you think I could do 2 150w hqi with the vho......would i be ok with a electronic ballast or is it really better to get an hqi one?

Jeremy B.
02/27/2007, 08:28 AM
I personally wouldn't run a DE bulb on anything but the HQI ballast. That is the exact ballast they are meant to be ran on, and any electronic ballasts will underdrive the DE lamps. Having said that some people still prefer electronic because of the decreased power consumption and heat, but magnetic HQI is still the best performer with DE's.

The 150's would be fine for you, however I would recommend using either the PFO Mini pendants or the Sunlight Supply Reef Optix 3 pendants. All of the other available pendants on the market are going to be subpar compared to these two in terms of overall light output.

IF you ever think the system will be geared more for sps then you might want to do the 250's now, but if yo will definitely be staying soft/lps with just a couple clams stick with the 150's.

Thanks,
Jeremy

engine
02/27/2007, 08:38 PM
since I havent made the hood yet......If i decided to go with a complete hood w/ mh and some type of supplemental lighting, what would you suggest for me?

Jeremy B.
02/28/2007, 08:34 AM
Both of the two high end fixtures that have excellent reflectors on the market are only being carried in 250w right now, which is the Sunlight Supply Maristar and the Giesemann Infinity. The Maristar has the options of legs to set on the tank, while the Giesemann can only be hung. The Giesemann has a nicer appearance aesthetically though, and less light spillage out into your room.

Thanks,
Jeremy

engine
03/01/2007, 08:27 AM
would you not suggest one of the current outer orbit series?

Jeremy B.
03/01/2007, 09:50 AM
The Current fixture is decent, not a bad option at all. As far as comparison goes, watt for watt, the Maristar and Giesemann fixtures would give you around 30% - 40% mroe light output. The main reason being the reflector design, and the secondary reason being the ballasts.

If you are on a strict budget, then you would be just fine going with the Current. If you were not on a budget and money wasn't an issue (is it ever a non-issue? :) ) then I would do the Maristar / Giesemann.

I might also add that I would have no problem putting a CurrentUSA fixture over my own personal tank.

Thanks,
Jeremy