benya29
02/23/2007, 09:51 PM
i got a mushroom rock from a site and the orange thing was on half the rock
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/ronbmusic/tanks/orangething2.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g140/ronbmusic/tanks/orangething.jpg

sir_dudeguy
02/23/2007, 09:57 PM
Its scientific name is "freakin weird looking" :lol:

But no really, i have no clue what it really is. My best guess would be some sort of sponge?

zach0660
02/23/2007, 11:51 PM
It looks like a sponge.

Frick-n-Frags
02/23/2007, 11:54 PM
very sponge looking to me too. The colors sure beat the generic mustard yellow or liver sponges I usually get. Actually quite nice.

looks like a white sponge over to the left there too.

benya29
02/24/2007, 08:47 AM
thats what i thought....hope it keeps spreading it looks nice

Salamander
02/24/2007, 09:17 AM
I have something similar to that in two different colors. Not 100% its the same and I'm pretty sure mine are not a sponge. I can't recall what I found out it was. It was firm and leathery and opens up along those seems periodically to feed.

Frick-n-Frags
02/24/2007, 09:24 AM
sponges are really really flow dependant. even with my generic crap sponges that are around all the time, if I change the flow in any way, a bunch disappear and regrow later elsewhere.

I have not had too many hitcher sponges keep growing, but many hitcher sponges that have started up elsewhere after the original fizzled because of flow or exposure to air or whatever.

and hence the permanent, albeit dynamic sponge population I now have.

I would never, ever, ever, buy a sponge from the LFS (...again :D)
they are low percentage at best.

I guess what I'm saying, is don't bum out too bad if it fizzles, it probably will because it grew somewhere else in a different environment

ps, this is why SPS frags are the best vs colonies. that frag will grow into a colony that has adapted to its flow, vs trying to shoehorn a large colony into different flows and expect all the branches to do as well as when it grew TO the currents.