PDA

View Full Version : I am depressed

Mr31415
02/24/2007, 10:56 AM
I just placed a yellowtail coris of about 10cm in length in my FOWLR tank where my Volitans Lionfish also resides...

I thought nothing of it since I have a small (7cm) twinspot coris in that tank for over 3 months now and the Lionfish is not even interested in it.

Within 30 seconds of me adding the yellowtail coris the Lionfish cornered it and swallowed him whole :(

This is a sad day.

Capt. Nemo
02/24/2007, 09:17 PM
I'm very sorry about your loss.

SDguy
02/24/2007, 10:07 PM
That sucks! But why are you buying fish that can fit in the lion's mouth?

PS - Get the other wrasse out.

Growurown
02/24/2007, 11:57 PM
Sorry that you had to have an expensive lesson, but look at it this way, it kinda brought a chuckle to me and I too was having a sub par day

seamay
02/25/2007, 01:28 AM
I did this when I added my gobie and prawn to my tank. The Gobie was chased and made it into the rocks but never saw it again...and the prawn was Clarki food

Mr31415
02/25/2007, 01:59 AM
SDGuy - the wrasse should quickly outgrow the lionfish - and since they sleep buried in the sand and are so quick I was sort of convinced the Lionfish would not be able to catch it while it was small.

I think the advantage the current twinspot had is that it was first in the tank, and I only introduced the Lionfish afterwards. So it knew how to escape and it was alert when the Lionfish was added.

With the yellotail coris yesterday the situation was reversed - and the Lionfish cornered it. But it still sucks...

dendro982
02/25/2007, 08:57 AM
I bought the blue chromises, that couldn't possibly fit into the baby lion's mouth - guess what: they fit. Survivors were moved to another tank (this is how happened that I have more and more tanks :( ).

JBrown
02/25/2007, 04:57 PM
my lion did the same thing to my tusk. one minute he was there the next he was gone

Monkeyfish
02/26/2007, 09:46 AM
Ouch. Now that had to hurt.

JBrown
02/26/2007, 10:54 AM
Yea that sucked now I have to be real careful about what goes into my tank. My lion is just a beast, anything that I start to acclimate he will go right up to it and just stare it down.

LionfishFinatic
02/26/2007, 04:02 PM
I thnk what probably happened was the lion was so used to food coming from the top of the tank and kind of "swimming" with the current he thought it was dinner time. the same thing ALMOST happened to me but i was lucky enough to catch the fish before the lion did. if you are ever going to introduce a fish into a lions tank i would make sure the fish got to the bottom of the tank first so take a net/bag, catch the fish and set it near the rock work. just my 2 cents

wakesetter
02/26/2007, 04:47 PM
saw that coming a mile away. Lesson learned?

Mr31415
02/27/2007, 01:25 AM
Well it was not that obvious. As I said my small twinspot coris is in the same tank for the past 3 months now and the Lionfish has no way of catching it. Wrasses dig under the sand when they get frightened - that is what protects them. This one did not dig, and I am sure he would have survived had he gone under the sand.