PDA

View Full Version : How deep should your bed be

atblj5
02/24/2007, 06:49 PM
Sorry guys, easy question, the tank is a 55gal and i just added 15 pounds of crushed coral to it ,and all ready have ? pounds and it looks to much. Man i need to slow down. How deep should it be
Thanks for your time John
the man who should slow down

AquaReeferMan
02/24/2007, 07:06 PM
It all depends. If you are trying for a DSB it should be about 4-6 inches. If not it doesnt really matter how much you have in there. The deeper sand bed will help the de-nitrification process a lot more.

atblj5
02/24/2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks man just an easy set up no sump, just trying to get ready for T B S shipmant./ Thanks John

jdieck
02/24/2007, 07:21 PM
Minimum of 3" for a DSB and de-nitrification, with crushed coral you will probably won't get any, too coarse.
By the way why crushed coral? It accumulates detritus and need frequent cleaning so if you decide to use it a shallow bed of it will be better.

atblj5
02/24/2007, 07:29 PM
Just what i had on hand,the base is a lot more course, i am just adding to it , what would you use as a bed

grneyes3x
02/24/2007, 07:32 PM
I started with cruch coral learned the hard way. Had to get rid off it and replace with sand. If I was you get rid of it. From my understanding will cause major problems in the future. Good luck

atblj5
02/24/2007, 07:38 PM
Ok , lets start over should i not use crushed coral as a base, and use the live sand from T B S on top, or just get rid of the crush coral and get all new from T B S

jdieck
02/24/2007, 07:52 PM
For best results, no crushed coral at all.
I would recommend for a display tank which is going to have some high flow Aragonite Sand in the 0.2 to 1.3 mm grain size.
Carib Sea Special Reef Sand is ideal although not cheaper.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7326&N=2004+113554
Some people prefer the more fined grain of oolitic 0.2 to 1.2 but IMO it is too fine and the grains are spherical making it too easy to cause a sand storm once in a while.
It is optimal for DSB on the other hand so if used I would recommend a 1/2" to 1" layer of the larger sized indicated above.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7321&N=2004+113554
Also although some people use silica based play sand with little trouble I always prefer the Aragonite.

atblj5
02/24/2007, 07:54 PM
What is the problem with the crushed coral.

jdieck
02/24/2007, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9326436#post9326436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atblj5
What is the problem with the crushed coral.
Because of the size and composition has a couple of disadvantages:
a) Traps more detritus creating decomposition under the bed that may eventually crash your tank.
b) Because of the size it really stay aerobic so it will not create enough anaerobic bacteria for an efective denitrification
c) Because of the size some sand dwelers may not trive, worms and certain pods seem to prefer small grained sand. Similarly fish that filter sand for feeding like the sand shifting bobby require smaller sized sand
d) Aragonite sand, although at tank PH levels do not provide much of an alkalinity or calcium buffering it provides some, Calcite (Crushed coral) although also calcium carbonate has a diferent crystal structure that makes it more difficult to dissolve.
e) Even if used as a base layer, the sand movement will make the larger grains come up to the surface.

atblj5
02/24/2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks i had no idea, i need to go back to basics. THANKS for all your help. I will return with new questions

jdieck
02/24/2007, 08:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9326587#post9326587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atblj5
Thanks i had no idea, i need to go back to basics. THANKS for all your help. I will return with new questions
Yes, I think you know that one about measure twice cut once? That also apply to reefing. Research twice, spend once :D

atblj5
02/24/2007, 08:17 PM
I dont mean to be a pain but how much of the fine sand do i put as a base before i put the T B S stuff in

jdieck
02/24/2007, 08:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9326650#post9326650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atblj5
I dont mean to be a pain but how much of the fine sand do i put as a base before i put the T B S stuff in
I would not put any. Placing the rock over the sand may be calling for trouble as the sand shifts (Or critters dig under) that can create rock shifting creating an unstable pile, you can imagine what hapen if one of the rock falls aginast the aquarium pane :D

You have two options, a place the rock directly on the tank bottom (use pieces of tile to support the rock in three points and distribute the weight and prevent pointy stress on the glass or acrylic) and then add the sand. This is the option that most reefers apply although it has the disadvantage that a portion of the rock under the sand most likely die so some people use base rock rather than live rock for the lower layer.

The second alternative is to build support for the rock with a PVC structure or pilons.
My favorite is to use PVC couplings (Drilled on the sides for circulation and use three under each base rock as stands, Once set the sand will cover them, More work and cost but no rock is wasted and you get a stable support.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/18470Rock_Support.jpg

atblj5
02/24/2007, 08:40 PM
Ok , WOW i will get it done thanks for the time spent, you saved me a bunch. i o you, have great weekend John

jdieck
02/24/2007, 08:56 PM
Enjoy! :thumbsup:

savethereef
02/25/2007, 02:40 AM
rock lifts are great

sgallagher7
02/25/2007, 09:27 AM
I was thinking of mixing the oolitic and the reef sand together, prior to placing it in the tank. Is this proper, or should i just layer it? Going with a 4" DSB in my 75.

jdieck
02/25/2007, 12:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9329906#post9329906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sgallagher7
I was thinking of mixing the oolitic and the reef sand together, prior to placing it in the tank. Is this proper, or should i just layer it? Going with a 4" DSB in my 75.
Even if you mix they will end up layered with the oolitic on bottom.

sgallagher7
02/25/2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks. Wanted to double and triple check before I get the sand. Research is a wonderful thing.

jdieck
02/25/2007, 01:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9329105#post9329105 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by savethereef
rock lifts are great
I have also seen beautiful auquascapes on a PVC pipe structure supporting some eggcrate to which rocks are tied using electrical plastic ties. They build inclines, walls, columns and overhangs. Columns are built perforating the rock for a 1/2 PVC pipe or acrylic used at the core.