PDA

View Full Version : Sand Storm

nyrescue
02/24/2007, 07:43 PM
Just starting to setup my tank..well I have everything except the sump (on order) and well the sand storm settles a little bit but once the powerheads are on you cant see 1/2 inch into the tank and when i turn them off it clears up a bit but not what i'm hoping for. opinions??

boxfishpooalot
02/24/2007, 08:22 PM
If the tank is new the sand needs bacteria and detritus to weight it down. I dont think its going to settle down untill then.

Marine animals are adapted to this storm.

GlobaLPimP
02/24/2007, 08:22 PM
is it actually sand that is being mixed into the water column - or silt from the sand not being fully settled or filtered out of the tank? Do you have any rock in the tank yet? The rock will break up the steady flow of current. Where did you mount your PH's? Any pics?

PhilOlsen
02/24/2007, 08:23 PM
It will settle in time, are your powerheads pointed right at the bottom? I would leave the powerheads off regardless until the sand does settle so it wont get into the pumps which can cause damage.

RTKBA308
02/24/2007, 08:26 PM
This may be too obvious, but are the powerheads blowing the sand off the bottom? Maybe point them up further. Or maybe there is too much flow?

Another maybe, the powerheads are blowing sand off your rock?

nyrescue
02/24/2007, 09:24 PM
No rocks yet, LoL They should be here on tuesday which could be one of the causes and the powerheads are not pointed towards the bottom...

clevername
02/24/2007, 09:46 PM
It took a couple days of mechanical filtration to filter out the small sediments from my new sand bed. Its just a time process thats all. No worries.