PDA

View Full Version : How do I frag a fiji yellow

afelder
02/24/2007, 07:50 PM
I would like to know the best and safest way to frag a fiji leather. At the rate mine is growing I will be able to frag it pretty regularly for the two or three frag swaps that my club holds. Any help will be much appreciated.

Ariel

socalnative
02/25/2007, 01:59 AM
razor blade

michaeldaly
02/25/2007, 10:29 AM
Yellow Fiji leathers can be rather tricky to frag in that they are delicate and easily get infected so be careful,

sir_dudeguy
02/25/2007, 10:35 AM
I've read the exact opposite of what michaeldaly said, and i've read it quite a few times. I've never fragged mine, but it looks pretty easy to frag since it grows in the perfect shape to cut. They grow little ridges that fold over and whatnot that you could just snip off and be done.

RokleM
02/25/2007, 12:39 PM
michaeldaly is correct. Yellow Fiji's are a difficult leather to frag. They tend to be quite picky, and can go downhill rapidly afterwards.

That being said, many have done it with success in the past. However if you're going to proceed, assume and be prepared for the worst.

Piazzon12
02/25/2007, 08:32 PM
http://www.reefnest.com/diy/leather/index.html

bitis316
02/26/2007, 07:14 AM
I just fragged three of mine last week for online auctions....Take a pair of sharp tissue or hair sissors or blade and cut a portion of it off.... Then take some thread or I use 5lb flourocarbon and wrap around the leathera and small rock several times...Not tight enough to cut it, but tight enough to hold it in place under med to high current.....Then superglue the flourocarbon or thread on the back side of the rock...This way you don't run the risk of burning the tissue of the leather.....Gently blow dry with you mouth for a few secounds..Then presto.....Back in the water in a simalar place as the mother for a few days.....Then you should be okay to ship or move around the tank as you like......P.S> You frag may dull in color (darker yellow) for a few days, but don't worry it should come back full color within a week....