PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop inside tank?

Porthos
02/25/2007, 01:10 AM
I am still seting up my tank as I've said in my last thread, but now I have a question about closed loops. All the info on closed loops I've seen show the pump outside of the tank, but could a closed loop be done with a pump inside the tank, along with all the plumbing? I was thinking it would be better to have one pump in the tank hidden behind some rocks than have to use a few powerheads. This would also avoid drilling the tank.

So, would this work, or am I missing something? Also, if it would work, what pump would you recommend for a 92 gallon corner assuming 3 or 4 pipe outlets?

HornetMech242
02/25/2007, 01:22 AM
I would think it would work as long as you keep the pump up high enough to prevent it from sucking in sand. I have never seen or heard of it done but i would like to see what you come up with. As far as pump suggestion goes, are you going to provide all flow needs with this one closed loop system?

If the entire thing is in the tank is it still called a closed loop? Or an internal loop?

Chris

Internal Loop is now copyrighted and trademarked :D

Porthos
02/25/2007, 12:05 PM
I was hoping to have it do most of my flow so I wouldn't have to by powerheads, but I will also have the flow from the sump return.

Good point about the sand. I'll probably put the pump on the bottom, but have a intake pipe going to the pump from the mid point of the tank. I'm going to give it a try and I'll report back how it turns out.

murfman
02/25/2007, 12:27 PM
Take pix and post up, sounds like a doable idea!

SubRosa
02/25/2007, 12:33 PM
When you put the pump in the tank it is essentially a powerhead.The main advantages of a normal closed loop are that there is less plumbing obstructing your view and less heat transfer with the heat source(pump)mounted externally.Save your time and money and just use a Rio Seio powerhead.I use one that puts out 2600 gph and cost about 90 bucks.

murfman
02/25/2007, 12:36 PM
Take pix and post up, sounds like a doable idea!

dippin61
02/26/2007, 04:20 PM
um. if the pump is in the tank, there would be no need for the plumbing.. it would be just like a big powerhead inside your tank.

or am i missing something.

Skorpinok
02/26/2007, 04:46 PM
The only thing I can see going wrong with this idea is that there may be a heat issue with the pump. I know the mag drive tends to heat up the water when I use it to mix my salt water.

zoomfish1
02/26/2007, 04:56 PM
You could use internal plumbing to direct the flow from the pump, but then you would have to hide it too. I didn't see it referenced here, so I'll post this link of Melev's site for closed loops.

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

ionredline0260
02/26/2007, 05:32 PM
I think it would be VERY neat if you did some DIY live rock out of cement and put pluming INSIDE the rock and had hidden out-lets. May be a bigger idea then any one is willing ot try but I think it would be really cool.

silverwolf72
02/27/2007, 10:34 AM
Only issue I see is how would you ever clean the pump? and what happens if it ever stops working, it would require you to tear down the whole setup.

RocketEngineer
02/27/2007, 10:41 AM
In my 75G Cichlid tank I installed these.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

I have a loop of 1/2" PVC running around the perimeter of the tank with the pump hidden behind my rocks and three jets. It works great at keeping the crap in suspension and my fish love to swim against the current. The pump is accessed from the top and because its all in the tank, none of the fittings need to be glued so it can be removed without too much effort.

I will post pics of it when I get home tonight.

192clark
02/27/2007, 10:47 AM
I am sure it is doable. I would do the Melve style, this would keep the heat down, make cleaning pump easier and hide more plumbing. jm2cents

RocketEngineer
02/27/2007, 06:20 PM
First pic is the empty tank showing the jet loop.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1486296-28-06_010__WinCE_.jpg

This second pic is after upgrading to a MD5 and redoing the rocks.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1486291-27-07_032__WinCE_.jpg

Enjoy.