PDA

View Full Version : How to control turtle weed? (Chlorodesmis)

reefranger911
02/25/2007, 02:31 AM
I have a 180g reef tank that I recently converted from a FOWLR to reef system. At the time of the conversion (breaking down a 72g reef to build the 180g) my nitrates and phosphates were through the roof and hair algae was an moderate issue. The hair algae decreased as the levels of phosphate & nitrate dropped. The nutrient levels were lowered with medias (phosphate sponge and phosban in reactor and a sulfer media in a nitrate reactor). I also began dosing iron to get the Chaeto in my refugia growing again, (this seems to have worked) my Chaeto now requires weekly trimming. During this time a small area of turtle weed has grown to take over a couple of rocks and patches here and there. I am seeking ideas on how to control it.

graveyardworm
02/25/2007, 09:57 AM
Are you sure its Turtle weed and not Hair algae? The controls for the two may very different atleast from a herbivor standpoint.

reefranger911
02/25/2007, 10:28 AM
Positive! have had hair algae, found picture identifying chlorodesmis to be match in one of the links in this forum.

bluenassarius
02/26/2007, 10:36 AM
are you sure its turtleweed? turtleweed comes and goes easily whereas HA keeps growing :) turtleweed is a bright neon greenish color also.

reefranger911
03/01/2007, 10:45 AM
ok now I'm not so sure in reguards to color, what I have is darker green, other wise it is a match to pictures I've seen of chlorodesmis. I have viewed all the images of hair algae that I can find. nothing else even comes close to the short stranded, turf like appearance. I'll get pix.