PDA

View Full Version : lyretail anthias in a 30G hex?

xxseawolf
02/25/2007, 09:47 AM
im looking to stock my 30G hex soon. i currently have 40+ lbs. of LR and 1 true perc clown. im going to add another perc with a small anemone and was wondering if a pair of lyretails would be too much. i have 1(soon to be 2 in my 55G) in my other tank and love it to death. but i also see how active it is in a 4' tank. would they have enough room to roam or should i stick to maybe a firefish and other smaller fish? thanks for any help

Chad Vossen
02/25/2007, 10:40 AM
i dont think anthias should be kept is small groups. through my limited observations at the petstore, the male will bully his females (for example: 2 females with 1 male in a 30 gal). in the wild, there are hundereds of anthias in a harem and each male has MANY ladys to bully and the females have all the space they need to avoid constant trouble.

anyways, i would hold the anthias for the much larger tanks that can handle a large bioload of 10+ anthias. i have also been greatly tempted to get a few anthias for my 65 gal, but just watching their behavior at the fishstore has really changed my mind. instead, why not check into the fairy or flasher wrasse? there are some equally beutifull fish and much less agressive.

xxseawolf
02/25/2007, 10:47 AM
ty armagedon48, i thought i was pushing it with the 30G but im a selfish bas@#$ and they are so beautiful. i think you are right and i will pass. thanks for the reply.

Monkeyfish
02/26/2007, 10:45 AM
Definitely pass on the anthias. Bioload aside, the tank is too small for them to be happy.

SDguy
02/26/2007, 11:26 AM
The bioload will ruin your tank. I had a 30g hex, with 15g sump/fuge and 5ft tall DIY skimmer (4" diameter). I had 3 bartletts for about 6 months. I had to take them to a LFS because I was getting terrible algae problems, even with that crazy skimmer.

xxseawolf
02/26/2007, 04:39 PM
thanks for the advise. they are a spazzy little fish. im starting a 150G tank soon, if i buy 3 lyretails will they go with a lionfish and a minitia grouper if it will fit in tank(i think they get around 16")? thanks for any help

snorvich
02/26/2007, 09:05 PM
Most likely the three lyretails will become an expensive lunch for the lionfish. The two fish you are putting in your tank are both predatory in nature.

rbursek
02/27/2007, 02:05 AM
I have a AG125gal 2x2x4ft I have 2 female and 1 male lyretail Anthias, 180lb of rock and other fish, the male does not bullie the females, I added the Antias all at once. I concur, about them with a grouper and lion fish. You should look at a fish copatability chart, they tell you what will work with what, and then decide what you want in your tank.
Bob