PDA

View Full Version : Avalanche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockitmakr
02/25/2007, 10:54 AM
I always knew that this was going to happen & last night my suspicion was confirmed. Back when I set this tank up I used some small pieces of rock in the center of my display & piled them in such a way that it could br knocked over by a snail eating algae off the glass behind the rock. I thought I had the rock placed sturdy but those little buggers tipped everything over.

Enough with the sob story...My question is....How can I glue rockwork & frags to the rockwork...Underwater?? Can this be done or am I screwed? I know there is an expert out there that can help my rebuild my hemorrhoid of a tank.:mad2:
:beer:

Chaotic Reefer4u
02/25/2007, 11:09 AM
Good Day Rockitmakr, i would use some epoxy and stick the frag's and coral's on the rock's or dremel some hole's in the live rock and put some pvc tubing in there to hold the rock's from falling, people on here have done it and are still doing it, hope this help's...

zisbell
02/25/2007, 04:23 PM
Duro is the best brand super glue to use, I glue corals all the time under water with it, but make sure its the gel.

syrinx
02/25/2007, 04:33 PM
And if you go the epoxy route don`t forget to keep a eye on the skimmer. It can def react in a big way if you get enough in there to hold the rockwork together.

aquarius77
02/25/2007, 05:16 PM
I second the duro gel, it is some super strong stuff and fairly inexpensive.

Rockitmakr
02/26/2007, 07:43 AM
Thank you for the replies, I have heard of the Duro Gel method before. I will try both.

RTKBA308
02/26/2007, 12:38 PM
I have used Aquastik epoxy from F&S. My skimmer had no response to it, and my rock is still held together, albeit it's only been a month in my tank.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3962&Ntt=epoxy&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Rockitmakr
02/26/2007, 12:56 PM
All done!...I think it looks better now than before. Glad it is finally finished, for now....

jecarl2
02/26/2007, 01:14 PM
I've used the underwater epoxy, and it seems to lose its hold after a few months. I use superglue gel now.

RTKBA308
02/26/2007, 01:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9339937#post9339937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jecarl2
I've used the underwater epoxy, and it seems to lose its hold after a few months. I use superglue gel now.

I had a feeling that would happen over time. I may throw some superglue on mine as well.

StephM33
02/26/2007, 01:31 PM
So the Superglue doesn't give off anything toxic in the water? That's really surprising but it's a cool idea. We have a snowflake who burrows like crazy under the rock, and although he hasn't caused any problem so far, it definitely seems like it could happen as he's making new burrows all the time.

Steph

Rockitmakr
02/26/2007, 04:00 PM
I was given a secret by a "Frag God", he told me to use BOTH epoxy & gel. Use gel on frag..Put epoxy on gel...Put gel on epoxy and apply it to the rock or glass, wherever you want the frag to go...It worked great! Skimmer was fine and everything else is great too!

zisbell
02/26/2007, 04:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9340077#post9340077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by StephM33
So the Superglue doesn't give off anything toxic in the water? That's really surprising but it's a cool idea. We have a snowflake who burrows like crazy under the rock, and although he hasn't caused any problem so far, it definitely seems like it could happen as he's making new burrows all the time.

Steph

Yea those or an engineer goby.