PDA

View Full Version : My onyx perculas are losing their onxy. Thoughts please!

junglejim83
02/25/2007, 06:51 PM
Its been a while since I've posted here, but anyway...

I've had a pair of onyx percula clowns for about 3 years now. Up until last summer, They were two of 3 fish in a 29g tank w/20g sump 80lbs of lr. The shared two RBTA's under 250w 14kMH. Last year when I was thinking about graduation and unsure of where my life was going to take me I sold off the setup w/ the bta's to give me one less thing to worry about when moving around. Since I've had the fish I've fed them mostly golden pellets supplemented w/ cyclopeze.

I kept the pair of clowns in a 10g tank w/ about 10lbs of lr and a regular 15w florescent hood and and my dad took care of the fish during my last semester this fall. The water conditions have tested clear and consistent since the downgrade. However, I came home after graduation in December and the onyx (the black between the typical white and black bars)on my fish has gone completely dull. It is more of an grayish orange now. The black bordering the white bars is still solid and otherwise the fish seem completely healthy.

Could the lack of strong light diminish the black pigment, like people going pale in in the winter? I have upped the amount of cyclopeze to see if its a food thing but if anything more pigment loss since I got back 2months ago. Could it be related to no longer hosting in the anemones?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

GSMguy
02/25/2007, 07:38 PM
feed some chopped krill and pure spirulina flake along with the cyclopeze

colby
02/25/2007, 08:12 PM
If you can give them a better diet and get em back under MH their pigment will darken. Melanin becomes more active in the presence of strong light.

cschweitzer
02/26/2007, 07:52 AM
Lighting could def change this. Lack of BTA for host "might" change this. Feed omega-3 fatty acids, usually easiest to supplement in the food with a thing like Selcon. Garlic can help with immunity and coloration. More meaty foods, less pellets.

Hope this helps a little

tpdpercula
02/26/2007, 12:37 PM
I have never fed pellet foods, so I dont know if that is the lone cause. Many of the reefers here feed a variety of mixed foods, some w/ supplements, some w/out. Variety is best when dealing with fish. Change it up a little bit and I believe you will see your old coloring within a few months.

Reciept: Blended Krill, Squid, and mysis and brine shrimp. I also make-up some spriullina and feed cyclops about once a week. Make a good size batch and fill a ice cube tray, freeze, and thaw as needed.

Hope they are back to normal in no time.

cschweitzer
02/26/2007, 01:04 PM
Yes, variety is important!! I go to a grocery store and get squid, clams, oysters, scallops, shrimp, etc. I freeze them, grate them with cheese grater until desired size, then refreeze them for use later on. Mysis krill gut-loaded brine are good choices also.

EMBRYOGUY
02/26/2007, 04:01 PM
i feed no fresh foods and all my onyx are solid black with 24 wt pc up to 150 mh range. some onyx will just fade for undetermined reasons. too many variables to isolate.