PDA

View Full Version : question about building a stand

enemec1
02/25/2007, 08:16 PM
I want to build a stand for either a 180 or 210 not sure what one yet. The question, can I build the stand with no center upright brace on the back part of the tank if I use 2x6's mounted to multiple 2x4s on the corner post.
I hope this maks sence.

dattack
02/26/2007, 12:52 AM
To be safe, just put in a removable 2x4. Possibly add brackets (Ls and Ts) if you want to remove it in the future.

grouper therapy
02/26/2007, 07:55 PM
are the 2x6 the horizontal header?? single or double???

enemec1
02/26/2007, 08:07 PM
yes they will run the 6 foot lenth and I would double them, I could also go with a 2x8 if need be.

draleigh
02/26/2007, 08:28 PM
I built my stand for my 180 out of 2x4. More then enough support. Compair my 2x4 frame to that of a stand you get at the store and i think you could park a car on my pretty easy. It is amaze how overbuilt we make our DIY stands, not that i would change mine.

grouper therapy
02/26/2007, 08:46 PM
You will have to be careful and allow for clearance for the bulkheads on the overflow if that is your setup, also using 1 2x8 for the span is actually stronger than 2 2x6"s. I build free standing curve stairs for a living and I laminate veneer core plywood for the beams . That is another option for you if you want a thinner beam for clearance. The bidirectional veneers in the plywood increases the beams strength. I am the middle of building a bow front stand now for a friend at the LFS. It will have no center brace on the front for easy access to the sump. Your 6' span in the back could be 2 layers of 3/4" plywood 8" wide glued and screwed together.The other advantage of plwood is the ability to rip a near perfect straight board

grouper therapy
02/26/2007, 08:53 PM
forgot to add that the beam would eliminate the center beam . your original ?

rbursek
02/27/2007, 02:27 AM
You also get a "LAM Beam" which is a laminated pre stressed to run as your horizotal support. it would be simular but I thinck sronger then the plywood as grouper therapy sugested. I agree with Draleigh, we maker beter then store bought, I made my stand and light box for a fourth of the cost of one from All Glass, beter build, real oak, and more user friendly for my set up. I would go either of these routes before just using a 2x anything.
Bob

aharrow
02/27/2007, 09:26 PM
I would bet that we all have overbuilt our stands including myself. I would bet money that I could put my wife's suv on top of mine.

eameres
02/28/2007, 08:11 PM
Hope this doesn't sound like a hijaak. I'm planning on making my own "laminated beams" from glued up, multiple thicknesses of plywood. This way there's no twist/warp and I can use whatever dimensions are appropriate. Perhaps that's something to consider.

GreyHawk1968
02/28/2007, 09:25 PM
Built my stand out of 4x4 PT corner posts... I musta been thinking about making a double decker reef.,,,,LOL

waldomas
02/28/2007, 09:38 PM
I built mine for my 180 with 2x6s and no center support. It is plenty strong enough! Of course you must stand them on side and not flat. :D

For the corners: screw two together to form an ELL to rest the top frame on. Make the bottom like the top (stand on side) and sandwhich the corners in between.

For extra support and to prevent "racking", screw thin plywood or paneling across the back.

I hope that wasn't confusing.

grouper therapy
02/28/2007, 09:40 PM
The lam beam that rbursek mentioned is very good product, but one thing you need to know about them is that they are an engineered product that are sometimes built with a slight camber a.k.a. curve or bow so that when a calculated load (weight) is applied to them , they flex back to straight. This is not a problem with your stand as along as you turn the curve down so that the tank sits on the corners. that is why I like to laminate my own so that the weight is distributed more evenly. If any of you decide to do this please pm me and will let you know the process.

rbursek
03/01/2007, 11:22 AM
Grouper therapy.
everyday is a learning day, I know that with wood, but did not know that with micro lam beams!!!!!!!! I have watching the tank the last 3 snow days, width seperates fish not hight, or depth, next tank a 210, not a 4ft, occational chairs go on the veranda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!