PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep star polyps?

Pea-brain
02/25/2007, 08:39 PM
Hi! I run a 10 gallon marine predator tank. It has about 12 pounds of rock, 8 dead, 4 live. It is my first marine tank. I run a protien skimmer and a biowheel. I have a handful of spaghetti hair algae sitting in the corner of my tank. It's about a month old not including cycling time. I use well water with no phosphates or nitrates in it. I generally keep my nitrates below 40 ppm, usually 20. I do a 2-3 gallon water change each week, and run a specific gravity of 1.024-1.026. I have a reef sun 15 watt 50/50 too. My question is what are the minimm requirements for star polyps? I know I need stronger flow, and probly stronger light, but other than that what do I need to change? And are there any other corals that might work in my tank? also, what would I feed corals? Thanks!

cl2ysta1
02/25/2007, 10:24 PM
Mushrooms are very hardy and should work in there. I would suggest a powercompact. I have gsp's in my 10 gallon nano, and they do fine. You will need flow on them though.

good luck

dustin323
02/26/2007, 12:51 AM
GSPs are pretty hardy. Though you really need a bit stronger lighting. As cl2ysta1 said a power compact, pretty inexpensive. You'd probally be good with flow, but a small powerhead would never hurt. Most Corals don't need fed, some can be fed though & can benefit from it. Yur nitrAtes are a good bit high, usually 20 you say. Well that is pretty high & your corals won't flourish with that. 40 is way to high & dangerous for the fish also. When you say marine predator tank, what are you keeping in a 10g that is a predator?

Pea-brain
02/26/2007, 05:53 AM
I'm keeping a spearer type mantis shrimp. I think my nitrates are high because I've been over feeding with nutrient rich foods every day because the mantis' spearing appendages are healing. I think that after the next 2 molts I think can keep the nitrate usually about 10 and the high would be 20 with twice weekly feeding. Also I plan to get a more efficient protien skimmer. So flow and better lighting. My local coral place said that they at least reccomend 3 watts per gallon. Would that be a bit of overkill for say gsp (Thats green star polyps, right?) and maybe something like xenia (I heard it spreads like cancer and refuses to die. perfect)

cl2ysta1
02/26/2007, 09:34 AM
lol the xenia comment is true in some tanks. it really has no rhyme or reason to how fast it grows, or dies. Some people cant contain it and others cant get it to grow. They seem to like slightly dirty tanks ;)

kjord97
02/26/2007, 10:12 AM
Please upgrade your lights to Power compact or T-5's. It can be done for under $60. I attached a pic of my first tank it was 20 gal. 4 years ago. the pic is of the tank after 8 months of being set up. I still have just about everything in that tank still alive today. But today they are split up between 3 tanks.

I had a 54 watt 50/50 power compact, a skimmer, and a hang on tank filter. The only supplemental feeding i did was for the sun corals.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/103593dsc00206_617.jpg

kjord97
02/26/2007, 10:15 AM
also, just so you know, dead rock becomes living after a few weeks in the tank.

LIVE ROCK ~~ has living organisms,

DEAD ROCK ~~ has been out of water and do not have living organism. Once you put in the water and organisms start to grow on it, then it becomes living again.

dustin323
02/26/2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah I would say with 3 WPG you'd be good for things like mushrooms, polyps, & xenia.

Pea-brain
02/27/2007, 05:36 AM
I was looking at a magazine and the only compact that I could afford was a mini aqua light. It has 2 compact flourescents, and runs 30 watts. Just one problem though: It is 9" long. My tank is 24" long. I talked to someone on customer service and they said it would work. Could someone back this up? I'm going to call my local coral place and ask if they have any 18" flourescent tubes strong enough anyways. Unless Someone know an 18" tube that runs more than 15 watts.

kjord97
02/27/2007, 07:52 AM
Aqualight Power Compact Fixture for Saltwater - Straight Pin - 65W - 24 in. 59.99 65 watts total power

Aqualight Power Compact Fixture for Saltwater - Straight Pin - 2 x 36W - 24 in 99.99 72 watts total power

Aqualight with 10,000k & Actinic T5 Fluorescent Lamps - 14W - 24 in. 38.99 28 watt total power

those are the best lights for the buck I gave you a low middle and high for the 24'' tank that is within resonable price.