PDA

View Full Version : Weird sump plan from lfs HELP

drshdow
02/26/2007, 12:41 AM
OK, i'll start off by saying.....Don't yell at me.

i have a 90 gal and have been running a fluval 404, powerhead and skimmer. i have LR, crustaceans and 4 damsels. i want to go all reef and was told i need to set up a refugium.

i purchased a 20 gal long, a 1200gph pump, and hang on overflow. the problem is that the plans the guy at the stroe gave me to set it up are nothing like any sump/refugium plans i can find online. i can't get it to work properly and am not sure if its just me or this is a crap plan.

its a dual feed overflow (2 pipes) that come down to a 6in chamber on the left. the first baffle has a 1 in slot thats about 3 inches from the bottom of tank.

the next section is the fuge, about 14 in and then a 6in tall bafle

the next baffle is an inch the right of the 6 in, it is 10in tall with a 1 in opening at the bottom. the 3rd chamber is for the pump.

i know i may be confusing everyone but, it seems like it could work, but i can't even find on ethat looks like this. i'm concerned that the pump is too strong and not enough water is coming in on the overflow, and that the size of the refugium is too small (6"x12"x14")

should i scrap this idea and go with a traditional desing form melv's reef, anyone use this setup and recommend it and or describe how to get it working properly

i would really appreciate any help, or suggestions

luke33
02/26/2007, 07:12 AM
Your pump may be to large, but to make it work, if your using u-tubes, get a couple extra's. I have a 1200gph u-tube overflow and about the same gph pump, i'm pulling 1200gph through my sump and fuge. I added two extra utubes to pull more water down and it works well. Your sump sounds ok, there's many different ways to run a sump fuge. Go with what you feel comfortable with as you sound a bit hesitant of the design.

sjm817
02/26/2007, 08:26 AM
I would never put that much flow through a 20G sump. I would scrap it and do a better setup. A 30L makes a good sump under a 90G. A 40B is better if your stand can accommodate the 18" depth. 400 GPH or so after headloss is a more realistic flow rate.

luke33
02/26/2007, 08:30 AM
Very true sjm, i'd have to agree, now that i look back, in a 20g long, thats a ton of flow. I have a 80g sump fuge with that kinda flow.