PDA

View Full Version : filter for QT

ugluk
02/26/2007, 07:24 AM
I'm trying to set up a quarantine tank and have reading a lot about how to set it up. It seems the best thing to get for filter is a sponge filter which I can find on a few websites. The problem is they say to never use the sponge twice but I have yet to find one site that sells replacement sponges for the filter.

So now I started looking at HOB filters for it. While I can find filter bags for these I do not see any sponges on sale for them. Would I have to buy the sponges and cut them down to size? Can someone show me what they use in their QT.

joe 09
02/26/2007, 08:04 AM
i have a 20 gal. q tank and use a bio wheel 150.it is rated for 30 gal.you can never have too much filtration.

Fast Eddie H
02/26/2007, 08:43 AM
You can always just use some filter floss, which you can buy in a big roll and cut to size as you need it.

virginiadiver69
02/26/2007, 11:05 AM
I use a Tetra whisper HOB w/ generic filter floss

ugluk
02/26/2007, 07:07 PM
I thought that you needed a sponge that you kept for a week in your main tank so it could build up bacteria and then used that for the QT tank. Am I wrong with this?

AZDesertRat
02/26/2007, 07:20 PM
A lot of us use AquaClears with the sponge. They are pretty inexpensive and work great. Just buy a few extra sponges and keep one in your main tanks sump at all times so it is charged with bacteria and ready to set up at a moments notice. Always throw the sponge away after each QT and stick another one in the sump so there is no chance of passing anything on to the next QT. Sponges are cheap, fish and corals are not.

ugluk
02/27/2007, 07:09 AM
The problem is I cant seem to find sponges for the smaller filters. I can find filter bags but not the sponges. Would I even use the filter bags?

AZDesertRat
02/27/2007, 09:14 AM
Anybody that sells AquaClear HOB filters will have boxes of the replacement sponges too. I was just in a Petco even and they had stacks of them on the shelf.