PDA

View Full Version : ID Please?

MechEng99
02/26/2007, 10:15 AM
I bought this from the LFS...the guy was unsure as to what it was (great, knowledgeable staff...right.)

I'm completely new to reefkeeping, so help please!

It's squishy and has a pinkish body with fairly yellow-ish green polyps. It's picked up some color since bringing it home...and seems to have become much more happy over the past few days. I'm hoping it's not bleached.

Thanks for all the help!
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/146723Unknown_Small.JPG

kjord97
02/26/2007, 10:20 AM
Defintily looks like a BLEACHED KENYA TREE. hopefully the color will come back. The color in soft coral comes from the algae that is in there skin. That is why they need light to grow, the algae needs the light. When a coral is subject to low light or no light conditions, they become bleached. If there is still some algae left in it, then hopefully the color will come back.
this shot is a year old, my kenya tree today is about the size of a basketball.

top left side green tree
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/103593leftsidetank.JPG

MechEng99
02/26/2007, 10:27 AM
In my pic, the polyps are fully extended there. Is that normal for a Kenya tree? They're itty bitty!

Your tank is beautiful btw...and thanks.

MechEng99
02/26/2007, 12:03 PM
After doing some research, it's looking like a green finger leather (Sinularia?)...is that the same as a kenya tree?

Scuba Josh
02/26/2007, 03:18 PM
how about green nepthea?

MechEng99
02/26/2007, 03:45 PM
Oh grrr...that looks like it could be it too. I'm guessing I just need to wait for it to gain some of its color back huh? In the meantime, should I stick this in high lighting or low lighting? I don't want to burn the thing...or bleach it even worse.

Sarcophyton874
02/27/2007, 12:01 AM
Always put a new coral low in the tank in the beginnning. This coral does look bleached. Some leathers can look pale so it's difficult to tell for sure. Also never rely on the LFS people to give you advice, they know little if anything at all. I used to work a LFS and the people that work there are idiots (except me of course) =). Most have never even taken Marine Bio in high school.