PDA

View Full Version : thinking of moving up to MH from pc

reefworm
02/26/2007, 11:20 AM
I know I'm vascilating, but I guess that's why I need the input. I really would like MH lighting so I can try sps corals, clams, and have the more realistic look of point-source lighting rather than the pc's I've been using. My questions are, given a 29 gal. tank 18" deep:

rough cost figures [realizing that cheaper does not mean better]?
what brands should I consider?
type of bulb?
should I supplement with other lighting [twilight, etc.]?
should I have glass between the bulb and water?
any heat concerns, or should ventilation fans handle it [I'll have 2 3.5" fans blowing over the top]
pendant v. under hood? [not sure pendant will work, but I like the look and ventilation] - I have a recessed can light fixture in the ceiling directly above the tank now

any caveats/headaches/etc. to be aware of?

many thanks! It's a big step for me and I'm a bit nervous at the cost, but ...

osteor10
02/26/2007, 11:25 AM
i am in the same situation as u. I just bought a 70 MH for 140 shipped. im a little worried about it heating my tank up too much (20g long). I cant recommend anything cuz im new to the hobby but i hope everything works out for you

CaptRon
02/26/2007, 11:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9338903#post9338903 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefworm
I know I'm vascilating, but I guess that's why I need the input. I really would like MH lighting so I can try sps corals, clams, and have the more realistic look of point-source lighting rather than the pc's I've been using. My questions are, given a 29 gal. tank 18" deep:

type of bulb?
any heat concerns, or should ventilation fans handle it [I'll have 2 3.5" fans blowing over the top]
pendant v. under hood? [not sure pendant will work, but I like the look and ventilation] - I have a recessed can light fixture in the ceiling directly above the tank now

for a 250w SE setup:
ballast: ~$115
reflector: ~$100
bulb: ~$60
wiring: ~$10
total: ~$285

This list is based off of where I got mine at premiumaquatics.com

Go with a 14k and you won’t need supplements unless you want a dusk to dawn effect

glass isn’t needed unless you go with HQI. Most HQI reflectors will come with UV glass though. You do want to keep salt spray off of the bulbs though if you have it too close to the water.

Heat is always a concern when it comes to halides. Keep them off of the water more and use fans if heat becomes an issue. I have a 175w over a 20g with 2 PC fans to keep the temp at 80.

michaeldaly
02/26/2007, 11:32 AM
For your tank 1 150W(mixed reef) or 1 250W(SPS only) would be ideal.

Costs can vary greatly depending if you diy or buy a fancy fitting.

You need glass between the bulb and the water if you are running double ended bulbs otherwise you don't, but I would still advise it as a splash of water could cause the bulb to explode.

If you are using a bulb of 14000K or higher you do not need to supplement as the bulb is already giving off some blue light.

Ventilation fans should handle the heat problems.

I am currently using 150W DE 14000K BLV bulbs which I really like, they give a very crisp white colour.

michaeldaly
02/26/2007, 11:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9339013#post9339013 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaptRon
for a 250w SE setup:
ballast: ~$115
reflector: ~$100
bulb: ~$60
wiring: ~$10
total: ~$285

This list is based off of where I got mine at premiumaquatics.com

Go with a 14k and you won’t need supplements unless you want a dusk to dawn effect

glass isn’t needed unless you go with HQI. Most HQI reflectors will come with UV glass though. You do want to keep salt spray off of the bulbs though if you have it too close to the water.

Heat is always a concern when it comes to halides. Keep them off of the water more and use fans if heat becomes an issue. I have a 175w over a 20g with 2 PC fans to keep the temp at 80.

The price you quoted for a ballast seems very high, You can buy an HQI magnetic ballast for a fraction of that, and the reflector you could also get a lot cheaper unless you want to go for the top end stuff.

My estimate for a DIY setup would be around $100 if you can get a source on the bulb.

CaptRon
02/26/2007, 12:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9339064#post9339064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michaeldaly
The price you quoted for a ballast seems very high, You can buy an HQI magnetic ballast for a fraction of that, and the reflector you could also get a lot cheaper unless you want to go for the top end stuff.

My estimate for a DIY setup would be around $100 if you can get a source on the bulb.
Yes, the ballast quoted is for an IceCap electronic. I've never used magnetic or HQI so I can't comment on how well they work. For reflectors I like the LumenArcs due to the design (light is put into the tank where it's supposed to go). If you're looking to save some money, spider light reflectors are nice from what I've read. Two things not to skimp on are ballasts and reflectors. Bulbs are no big deal as they can be replaced easier.

RumLad
02/26/2007, 02:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9338903#post9338903 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefworm

type of bulb?

Have you given any thought to using T5 lighting instead of the MH?

At 25 gal and only 18" deep, you can keep anything salty you desire with T5 lights, and not have to worry about the heat and energy issues associated with MH.

Just my 0.02, anyway

reefworm
02/26/2007, 02:15 PM
T5 is new to me - please explain. Again, I'm not just interested in keeping animals, but the appearance of point-source lighting rather than the flat lighting I've had with pc's

RumLad
02/26/2007, 02:24 PM
whole thread from the lighing forum:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1032804

RumLad
02/26/2007, 02:27 PM
Also, if you don't mind me asking. With a 25 gallon tank, would MH lighting appear "point Source", unless you had it placed well above the water surface? Wouldn't that amount of light pretty much whitewash a tank that size?

michaeldaly
02/27/2007, 11:17 AM
No, you will still get the ripple effect if you have decent surface movement on your tank.

Doureefa
02/27/2007, 01:16 PM
reefworm you got pm