PDA

View Full Version : Filefish won't eat

Fmellish
02/26/2007, 12:37 PM
I purchased a mimic filefish this weekend. He looks just like a saddled, (Valentini), puffer though he is not toxic. According to my fish guide he is very well suited to captivity and has no special requirements.

He is a very nice fish and gets along well with the others in my tank, and he looks very healthy. Here is a picture of him inm y tank.

http://fmellish.shackspace.com/aquarium/images/061.JPG

I can't get him to eat. When feeding time arrives, he gets excited like the other fish and darts around the tank, but he swims through the mysis and doesn't actually open his mouth and consume it.

He's gone three days now without eating.

I'm going to try live brine tonight, but I thought I would also ask here.

According to other texts he is not a fish that is difficult to feed and he should eat anything.

Cheers
Josh

luke33
02/26/2007, 12:59 PM
Have you tried krill or silversides? I have a valentini and he didn't eat mysis, brime, flake or anything for a while, all he would eat is silversides and krill. After a few mths he started eating anything and everything. The good news is your fish looks healthy. Do you notice him picking on your lr?

Fmellish
02/26/2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks Luke.

No he doesn't pick on the rocks either, (that I've observed), though they are hairy and would provide some food if he needed it.

I'll try krill then.

Thanks
Josh

650-IS350
02/26/2007, 02:19 PM
Have you tried feeder shrimp or live mysis

luke33
02/26/2007, 03:07 PM
I had a filefish for a while, not sure what kind it was, but he was an animal, supose to be non aggressive and bullied all my fish, had to get rid of it, trade. But i will say, it would eat absolutely anything. But it took him a month or so to get really bold, then a few months later too bold. But i'm guessing he will eat krill or silversides, if not, then its the waiting game. Maybe soak your food in garlic and try that.

rustybucket145
02/26/2007, 03:55 PM
Do you by chance know what this fish is supposed to eat in the wild?

BONDQ
02/28/2007, 04:59 PM
Josh,

Try brine shrimp.

My puffer refuses to eat Mysis but loves brine shrimp, so maybe your fish is the same.

Note I can't get him to eat anything but brine, he's very picky. He won't eat Formula 1, 2, mysis or really anything else.

Let me know.

gemini_princess
02/28/2007, 06:07 PM
Hi!
I second the suggestion to soak in garlic, like garlic xtreme. It will also help to boost his immune system.

BONDQ
03/02/2007, 03:32 PM
Is the fish eating regularly?

If so, what is it eating.

Hope all is well.

Fmellish
03/03/2007, 02:07 AM
Sorry to not get back to this thread sooner.

My fish is eating everything now.

He was grazing on rock fuzz for the first few days. Now he's actually gulping up mysis shrimp.

Thanks
Josh

BONDQ
03/03/2007, 04:54 PM
Ok, glad to hear it's working out.

UnderCoverDork
03/03/2007, 05:58 PM
i would try live brine