PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker ID Please - Anemone?

caneelbay89
02/26/2007, 01:12 PM
Already posted in the Anemone site no response. Was hoping would get input here. It does eat using tenacles. The stalk is brown with white dots. It retracts into it's stalk. It has moved. I actually have two - one is at the very bottom of my tank and this one is at the top. (So, I guess they vary in light preference.)The picture is not the best but, the tenacles are rather jagged and thicker than aiptasia.

Good/Bad/Harmful?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u60/keepitclean_bucket/100_0235.jpg

650-IS350
02/26/2007, 01:17 PM
Rock anemone ????

zoomfish1
02/26/2007, 01:45 PM
It's not a rock (flower) anemone. They don't have the serrated edges on the tenticles like the one in the pic has. If it hitched into the tank, I would pull it out. Very few anemones are of the "beneficial" catagory. It isn't a host anemone, or at least one I have ever seen.

When in doubt, pull it out.

Radioheed
02/26/2007, 02:18 PM
majano?

SpektralerSpeer
02/26/2007, 02:48 PM
It looks quite like Phymanthus sp. and they are generally harmless. I would not pull it out, and if you're in doubt, put it into the sump and indentify it, don't kill it. I dread to think how many animals were killed through the sort of ignorance often advocated.

Paul

aquarius77
02/26/2007, 03:15 PM
I would keep a close eye on it for a few months. If it starts spreading you need to nuke it. It looks alot like a majano to me but not exactly like one and i would not nuke it yet if it were in my tank.

caneelbay89
02/26/2007, 06:13 PM
Should I feed it? It has taken some mysis before.

zoomfish1
02/26/2007, 06:30 PM
I didn't say pull it out and throw it down the drain. Just take it out of the display. Ignorance, huh? Who p**d in your coffee today?

Man, if I spoke German I would call you a name. Be nice!!

clevername2000
02/26/2007, 07:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9343345#post9343345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zoomfish1
I didn't say pull it out and throw it down the drain. Just take it out of the display. Ignorance, huh? Who p**d in your coffee today?

Man, if I spoke German I would call you a name. Be nice!!

HAHA ZOO dont you just love people. Talk about a hypocrite. Although in his defence maybe he cant read, or he is "off". Poor guy

zoomfish1
02/26/2007, 07:36 PM
Maybe he just mis-read my post. I thought a while before I responded and kept it DOWN. At least, for me, that was keeping it down.

Back to the original post: It is possible it's a majano, but not like the ones I just nuked from my tank. Probably more than one kind of majano, though. If you don't want to pull it out, watch it for clones. I wouldn't feed it though. If it not a nusence animal, it will survive from the water column until you can get a good ID on it.

jecarl2
02/26/2007, 08:25 PM
I think it looks cool, I'd keep it if it doesn't bother anything.
(yay, 100th post!)

sage_commander
02/26/2007, 08:35 PM
Nice looking live rock, btw.

SpektralerSpeer
02/27/2007, 02:15 AM
I wasn't directly attacking you zoomfish1, I just often read about people flushing all sorts simply because they don't know what it is. Sorry for jumping to a conclusion and for coming across as too harsh.

Paul

Frick-n-Frags
02/27/2007, 03:49 AM
WOAH! that is a rock/flower anemone, most likely from the atlantic
You haven't seen all the crazy designs and colors those things come in. And I say rock/flower because it seems to be a catchall for possibly several close species.
They almost seem like the missing link between zoanthids and anemones because they have a big face compared to the little ring of tentacles and they don't move much.

How do I know? I had a tan one with identical tentacles hitch in on key marathon LR (before the ban) He was with me for a good 10 years. it never moved around and it was very sticky(ie powerful) how do I know? My yellow tang ran into it one night.
The tang was twice as big as the anemone, so the anemone could only eat half of it.

edit: BTW, that would be the one thing that would get me banned from here: finally losing it in frustration over some hasty mis-id, panic ,and subsequent death of the animal in question by a bunch of flighty ignorant goobs.

there is an article in reefkeeping that mentions what a shame it is.

caneelbay89
02/27/2007, 07:41 AM
Frick,

Mine has moved at least 3 times. Just picks up and goes to the other side of the tank. Of course, mine could be retarded. lol

Thanks all!

Thank you sage.

Thank you all for not jumping on the hair algae, also.

coyoteseven
02/27/2007, 08:49 AM
Going with Frick-N-Frags on this one. It appears to be a Caribbean/Atlantic flower anemone of some type.

Some (like yours) can be quite beautiful while others (like mine) can be quite drab. They are interesting creatures and can get a lot of their nourishment from light, also. They will eat smaller tank inhabitants, but larger/stronger fish can escape and will learn a valuable lesson.

Mine came in as a hitcher on a fossilized piece of bone I found in a tide pool about 4 years ago and was smaller than a dime... it is now over 4" in diameter and took up residence on a small piece of LR in the center of my 90g.

BTW, the chances that a clownfish will take up residence is slight, but weirder things have happened in this hobby. :confused: If you don't want it, check with other reefers in your area... I wish I still lived in Indiana (not really :lol: ), I would gladly take it off your hands. :D

caneelbay89
02/27/2007, 01:48 PM
Really don't mind it at all! Just wanting to make sure they (2) are not going to be a problem or hazard to me and/or my tank.

Appreciate the input from everyone.

Look forward to watching them grow.