PDA

View Full Version : Tube Anemones and their sting

m000240
02/26/2007, 02:51 PM
Does anyone out there know about the sting of the Tube anemones and the affect on fish.

We have a 90 Gallon with a extreamly low Bio load and in the last week we have had three deaths
1 Green Chromis
1 Hippo
1 male Lyertail Anthis

All seem to have an abrasion of some sort for 4-5 days proir to death.

The Tube Anemone was off to the side out of major swim areas (Now in Fuge)

Our Chemistry and Temp is all in Spec. We can't figure out the cause. I'm sure one of you will have something to say about this.

Thanks

cschweitzer
02/26/2007, 02:57 PM
Tube anem is an anem. Tube worm, cocoa worm, featherduster, christmas tree worms are all worms.

Tube anems will need light to live. I wouldn't think it is the tube anem hurting your fish(how many lost? What size tube anem?) but more likely either a poisoning(heavy metals, chemicals, etc) or a phosphate problem(many people overlook this test and is the common cause for many deaths of fish and other animals in a tank.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/invert.htm

m000240
02/26/2007, 03:04 PM
I was under the impression that our Phosphoban reactor would take care of those and if not what would be the best method in removing and or preventing these?
Thanks

cschweitzer
02/26/2007, 03:27 PM
Yes, it should. You still need to test for it. You can assume that the reactor is doing what it should or you can make sure it is...reactors only work if media is in good condition, if everything is flowing correctly, etc. Make sure it's not that before you rule it out.

Slakker
02/26/2007, 03:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9340947#post9340947 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cschweitzer
Tube anem is an anem. Tube worm, cocoa worm, featherduster, christmas tree worms are all worms.

Tube anems will need light to live. I wouldn't think it is the tube anem hurting your fish(how many lost? What size tube anem?) but more likely either a poisoning(heavy metals, chemicals, etc) or a phosphate problem(many people overlook this test and is the common cause for many deaths of fish and other animals in a tank.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/invert.htm

Tube anemones do not need light to live...taken from the source YOU cited: "Finally, because they are nocturnal, they are obviously not photosynthetic, so they do not care about the lighting in your tank." :rolleyes:

Back to the real topic at hand, I would be more inclined to think that there's some sort of parasite or infection going around with your fish than the anemone.

cschweitzer
02/26/2007, 03:29 PM
When did you put the 90G together? I see you started with 24 cube, did you put everything from there into the 90G? How long have they been in there?

m000240
02/26/2007, 04:55 PM
I still have the Cube and it's doing fine. The 90 started out as a 75 and became a 90 with a 30gal sump/fuge. All the 75 went into the 90 and added more rock and sand after Christmas.

Before the Holidays we cleared out all fish (for QT) and let the tank sit fish free for 8 weeks. Before moving everything back over we decided to go bigger and with a good sump/ Fuge set up (Chiller, UV, Phsoban, Skimmer the works)
We started adding Fish and softies the first week of Feb. All was well till last week.

I will run the extra chem test tonight to see where we are.

I guess I assumed that since all my soft corals were growing and doing well that it was not Chem.... You know what happens when you assume.

Thanks for the help I'll take all I can get.

m000240
02/28/2007, 05:45 PM
Well I have tested for everything that I have test for and Evereything comes back Normal.

I'm at starting to think it was the Anemone since moving it to the Fuge No other fish have any marks and no other have fallen ill or died.

I guess my next question is does any one want a tube anemone?