PDA

View Full Version : Household "GOOP" safe?

NanoReefWanabe
02/26/2007, 05:50 PM
i have heard it is and isnt safe..

how long do i have to wait if i am going to use it as a frag glue?

i already glued the zoas with it and they are sitting in a tupperware container now..that i have change the water in twice..

they are stuck and i am just wondering if it would be safe to stick them back in the tank?

i let them dry air dry for about 45 minutes misting them with salt water..then stuck them into the tupperware container..

Qwiv
02/26/2007, 07:38 PM
It is safe, after it has cured, so you shouldn't use it to glue a coral. The marine Goop is not safe, even after cured, which ofter confuses reefers as most will think marine means it is ok.

Roland Jacques
02/26/2007, 08:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9343403#post9343403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Qwiv
It is safe, after it has cured, so you shouldn't use it to glue a coral. The marine Goop is not safe, even after cured, which ofter confuses reefers as most will think marine means it is ok.
it does not cure good if it gets wet i would not use it for corals.

But FWIW ALL Goop is the same stuff. plumbing, wood, household.... And when cured (24 hours) it is safe.

Qwiv
02/27/2007, 06:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9343954#post9343954 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Roland Jacques
it does not cure good if it gets wet i would not use it for corals.

But FWIW ALL Goop is the same stuff. plumbing, wood, household.... And when cured (24 hours) it is safe.

Not all goop is the same. I have spoken personally to a rep about it. I stated you shouldn't use it for corals.

Roland Jacques
02/27/2007, 07:18 PM
Reps wont tell you that. that would be be self defetive, there job is to sell more products. They probably dont even no this.

Call them as a doctor from a ER and you well hear a different story.

Roland Jacques
02/28/2007, 08:19 AM
Then again that was over 10 years ago.

Anyway i use it to hold acrylic to glass. For filters it a very strong bond.

EnderG60
02/28/2007, 08:26 AM
ive used marine to make a nano, and household for some sumps, both worked fine with no issues.

I just let them cure fully and then let them soak in freash water for 12+ hours.

Qwiv
02/28/2007, 11:14 AM
Actually, not all Goops are the same. The exterior ones, Marine, etc have a UV blocker. The chemical used for blocking the UV technically is not considered safe. Will it kill your tank, who knows, your milage may vary. People use GE type II silicone all the time and some have death tanks, some don't....?? explain.

Goops are also manufactured with different recipies pending what country they are sold in as regulations on chemicals that can be used and labling are different throughout the world. Some goops contain perchloroethylene, which isn't good for you. Others contain toluene. The other goops are the same mixture of chemicals, but that does not stop them from mixing them in different porportions to give the goop different properties. I can't confirm that, as that is beyond any need of mine to do. but simply reading the lable will show that not all goops are created equal.

NanoReefWanabe
02/28/2007, 06:02 PM
wow thanx guys...

it didnt hold the zoas anyway...they floated off as soon as they were put back in the water..

Qwiv
02/28/2007, 06:57 PM
Super glue cyanoacrylate works