PDA

View Full Version : new return pump, what brand?

gburton
02/26/2007, 06:18 PM
I am replacing the return pump that came with my used tank. It is a rio 2500. Supposedly it pumps out around 1000 gal/hr. Do I need a pump that pumps out that much for my 75gal + 20gal sump and what brand would you all recommend? I am going to order it on line since the LFS only carries Rio. I think that they are garbage so I won't be getting another one of them. Any place online that you would recommend to purchase would be great also. Thanks

AZDesertRat
02/26/2007, 06:33 PM
Look at the Ocean Runner pumps on sale at Drs Foster & Smith. Much better than a Rio and on par with Eheim but less than half the price. The 2500 or 3500 either one would work great. You are better off with a lower flow through the sump and additional circulation provided by either a closed loop or internal pumps like Seios, Tunzes, Hydors or similar.

gburton
02/26/2007, 06:39 PM
can you explain the closed loop system a little more. I am not sure if we have that or not. More info on the internal pumps too?

AZDesertRat
02/26/2007, 06:46 PM
Look at www.melevsreef.com for a pretty good description and directions on how to build a closed loop system for tanks that are not drilled. Basically all you do is pull water from the tank and put it back in a different place or places for circulation.

gburton
02/26/2007, 06:52 PM
We do have a drilled tank. Our sump is 20 gal. with a protein skimmer in it and the return pump in another baffle. I believe then that we don't have a closed system without looking at Meleevs' site.

AZDesertRat
02/26/2007, 06:59 PM
For a closed loop you need additional holes over what a normal reef ready tank comes with. I have the normal two holes for the overflow and return but also 3 additional holes in the back fro the closed loop, on in the back center about half way down for the intake and one in each upper back corner for the loop returns using Loc Line.

gburton
02/26/2007, 07:03 PM
Ah, cool. I better go and read about that at Melevsreef. Thanks for the info. I actually just got a shipment from Drs. Foster and Smith. Looks like I am going there again with an overnight mailing. thanks AZDesertRat!

zoomfish1
02/26/2007, 07:07 PM
For a submersable pump I have always used magdrive pumps. I place a piece of stryofoam under it to completely eliminate the noise factor. I've always had good luck with them and they are reasonably priced at many sponsors on RC.

I also have a 75g and a 20g sump. I use a mag 9.5 and have to throttle it bask a little to match my overflow.

JTEAGUE
02/26/2007, 07:07 PM
I second melevs as being a greaaaaaaaat sight and I also just purchased an Ocean Runner pump it nice and quiet I'm just trying to work out some microbubbles.

bnhd3
02/26/2007, 07:40 PM
mag pumps are definitely a good choice. high quality, low noise. in your case if you don't chose to do a closed loop, a mag 5 would be perfect considering your display size and the average head loss.

AZDesertRat
02/26/2007, 08:50 PM
Mag pumps are not really a very good choice, I assumedhe had the Mag already. If buying new Ocean Runner or Eheim are much better choices. Both are much moreenergy efficient meaning less cost to run and less heat generated. They are also both much quieter and the OR pumps are on sale right now at Drs Foster & Smith. Mags are very noisy, vibrate badly after a while, are not recommended by the manufacturer for external use as they leak and create heat like crazy. I got rid of my last Mag, on my calcium reactor, a few days ago and my tank is much quieter now. I won't buy another.

LNell
02/26/2007, 10:25 PM
I have an eheim 1250 and it works great. You can barely hear it at all even when you're standing over the sump. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

RTKBA308
02/26/2007, 11:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9342789#post9342789 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
Look at the Ocean Runner pumps on sale at Drs Foster & Smith. Much better than a Rio and on par with Eheim but less than half the price. The 2500 or 3500 either one would work great. You are better off with a lower flow through the sump and additional circulation provided by either a closed loop or internal pumps like Seios, Tunzes, Hydors or similar.

Glade this came up. I have a Rio 1400, that's been giving me grief lately and want to replace it. I have a 58G w/20G sump. Would that Ocean Runner 2500 be too much for my tank? I don't want to do closed loops at this point. I don't see that Ocean Runner have any smaller pumps.

gburton
02/26/2007, 11:34 PM
thank you all for the good info, if you have more keep coming. I obviously have a decision to make.

scottwhitson
02/27/2007, 12:24 AM
Eheim here as well. I won't ever buy another Mag pump due to the noise that they make. Mine was ran internally so I didn't have to worry about leaks but could only stand the noise for about a week and swithced to an Eheim that you can't even hear.

bnhd3
02/27/2007, 08:57 AM
maybe it's just me but i don't seem to notice the noise like everyone here says. i have a mag 9.5 and 12. they both have silicone pads under them for vibration.

gbtrain
02/27/2007, 11:32 AM
I also have a 75g and 20g sump. I'm using a Quiet One 5000, it pumps 1330gph. I've Had it for almost 3 years with out any issues. I bought mine at That Fish Place, I believe Drs Fosters and Smith have them under the pond section.