PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-Sump/Refugium design.Please comment

Razorray
02/27/2007, 11:42 AM
Please can you comment on this design.I have been keeping marines for 6 months now and I think its time to add a sump.

Sump depth will be 18"

The measurments 12" and 13" are the baffle sizes.

Please can you offer any advice on which eheim pump I can use for the skimmer feed and the return.Mag pumps are quite hard to get hold of here in the UK

All baffle spaces will be 1"

Is it better to use a overflow box or a pump as in the picture to feed the skimmer?

Skimmer will be a APF600 which will be on a stand for some height

Any advice will be appreciated :)

Please check link below for picture

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/149277reefkeeping_sump-AAA.JPG

Icefire
02/27/2007, 09:51 PM
the last right baffle isn't required, it won't help

McCrary
02/27/2007, 09:56 PM
The last baffle isn't going to do anything for you. An Eheim return would work very well for this sump applcation. Also, H&S skimmers use the same AquaBee 2001 pump as the Deltec and can be run in sump without feeding (they are also better built). But if you already have the Deltec then you might want to consider gravity feeding it with water straight from the tank.

Razorray
02/28/2007, 05:27 AM
Hi, Icefire and Turbosnail.Thank you for the reply.

Does the dimensions look fine on the sump?Is the baffles the right height?

The only reason that I included the last baffle, Was that I was going to put a strip of eggcrate 1" x 18" along the gap high up right were the water falls through so this will stop any caleurpa from going in the return section.

Will the water flow be enough to the skimmer with gravity feeding? Instead of a pump?