PDA

View Full Version : New Live Rock w/ aiptasia...cook it?

ralphie16
02/27/2007, 02:01 PM
I got a wonderful peice of live rock from a very generous fellow reefer. It has a couple of aiptasia on it here and there. It is going in my fowlr. What should I do with this rock before I put it in the tank?

Should I "cook" it? I dont think this will be of any benefit to me because none of my other live rock that is already in the tank is "cooked".

Can I leave it in a small 10 gallon QT that I have free? Do I keep the lights off? Water changes? How long?

My goal is to not have aiptasia in my tank. My other goal is to foster the incredible amount of life on it which I would hope would benefit my tank.

seagirl
02/27/2007, 02:14 PM
pepermint shrim will eat it right up. put it in the qt tank and throw in a pep or 2 untill its gone then put it in your diplay imo

E-A-G-L-E-S
02/27/2007, 02:21 PM
I would try seagirls idea first, but if that doesn't work as some peeps won't eat aips then cook it....do not put it in your display or you will regret it.

onehundred20
02/27/2007, 02:25 PM
you can get berghia nudibranches or peppermint shrimp, or just get some kalk paste and hit them with that but then you;ll probaly miss some....if its going in a fowlr I would just dry it out first

jbittner
02/27/2007, 02:49 PM
Lot's of aptasia going around this board :) almost like the flu around here. I love Joes Juice!

snorvich
02/27/2007, 03:11 PM
If it is going in a FOWLR tank, raccoon butterflies eat it like candy.

ralphie16
02/27/2007, 03:16 PM
I have a teardrop butterfly. Will he eat it?

I also have a common dancing shrimp (well two but one jumped out of the tank last night and when i put him back in all the nassarius snails had a feast). Will the dancing shrimp eat it? I think another common name for them are camel shrimp.

Aside from gettin a predator to eat them, will they die off from the water being too cold? Would that also kill everything else on the rock?

Peter Eichler
02/27/2007, 04:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9350338#post9350338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ralphie16
I have a teardrop butterfly. Will he eat it?

I also have a common dancing shrimp (well two but one jumped out of the tank last night and when i put him back in all the nassarius snails had a feast). Will the dancing shrimp eat it? I think another common name for them are camel shrimp.

Aside from gettin a predator to eat them, will they die off from the water being too cold? Would that also kill everything else on the rock?

There's a decent chance your butterfly will eat them. I'd put the rock in the tank for a day or two and if he doesn't take care of them get it out and try other methods. Just an FYI, you'd probably have to "cook" a rock for many months to years before Aiptasia will die off.

d4a2n0k
02/27/2007, 05:15 PM
I agree with Peter Eichler. I will put money down that the Aptasia will still be there after months of "cooking". He might be a little bleached but it will still be there.

Give the Butterfly a shot.

newreef25
02/27/2007, 05:21 PM
Ok i had the same problem, i cooked the heck out of my rock, and still somehow there was a surviver. I put in 1 peppermint shrimp within two days he was gone. I think the shrimp would be the chepest way and would also be an interesting addition to the tank.

catfish63
02/27/2007, 07:43 PM
if the rock is going in a fowlr i wouldn't even worry about it,not going to hurt anything if you don't have any corals in there.

tylerandamanda
02/28/2007, 01:14 AM
i inject mine with a serenge and boiling water! it works great and no chemicals in the tank

Sk8r
02/28/2007, 01:24 AM
Aiptasia only hurt corals, not fish.

littlefish72
02/28/2007, 01:58 AM
as long as it isn't majano i'd say just put it in there and butterflies and/or peppermints will eat it..............if it is majano dry it out then bleach it then set it in fresh water for a month......only then would i put such a rock in my tank (just so you know i hate majanos)