PDA

View Full Version : Good salt or not?

edwing206
02/27/2007, 11:02 PM
my brother found some salt for really cheap that he wants but i told him it is probably a crappy brand because it is five bucks for a brand new 25 pound bucket.
this is the kind of salt.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~TA7111.html

thanks

sir_dudeguy
02/27/2007, 11:11 PM
I wouldnt use it. I cant tell you if its any good or not, but i've never seen anyone use the stuff before (or even heard of the brand for that matter) so i'd assume its not the best.

boxfishpooalot
02/27/2007, 11:13 PM
Well it says its for reef tanks. But I could pee in a bottle and say its for reef tanks too providing things grow from it.

Imo it does not seem to have a reputation I would not use it. But if you do buy it make sure to test the regular tests in it first before you add it. Like ph, alkalinity, calcium ect. Ph will be super high upon initial mixing. All salts are, test it after a day.

drummereef
02/27/2007, 11:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9354560#post9354560 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boxfishpooalot
Well it says its for reef tanks. But I could pee in a bottle and say its for reef tanks too providing things grow from it.

:lol: Boxfish, you crack me up. I would personally stay away from it and use a tried and true, tested, saltmix. Better to spend a few extra dollars than to wreck your reef, imo. ;)

GlobalEvan
02/28/2007, 12:18 AM
Marine Depot has these reviews from customers:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great Product! by Fish lover
This product mixes easily, is priced right and really holds it own against the popular name brands. Everyone should give it a try!

bad salt by FOWLR Tanker
Ocn Pure is inconsistant; mixes partially leaving milky white impurities at the botom.Contains PO4 which creates bad algae problems.makes residue on surface of water. Sick w/instantOcean,tropicMarin,

Rate Reviews: 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"fish lover" sound like he works for the company that makes the salt. The other guy suggests the most expensive salt on the market, and one of the worst salts on the market.

Peter Eichler
02/28/2007, 12:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9354935#post9354935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GlobalEvan
Marine Depot has these reviews from customers:

Great Product! by Fish lover
This product mixes easily, is priced right and really holds it own against the popular name brands. Everyone should give it a try!

bad salt by FOWLR Tanker
Ocn Pure is inconsistant; mixes partially leaving milky white impurities at the botom.Contains PO4 which creates bad algae problems.makes residue on surface of water. Sick w/instantOcean,tropicMarin,

Rate Reviews: 2

"fish lover" sound like he works for the company that makes the salt. The other guy suggests the most expensive salt on the market, and one of the worst salts on the market.

Instant Ocean one of the worst salts on the market? :lol: :lol: :lol: It may not have high calcium levels but it's pretty damn good salt otherwise. I'd say its 25+ year track record speaks for itself.

edwing206
02/28/2007, 01:42 AM
ok thanks. i am going to tell my bro to stick w/ IO. thanks for the help guys.

jen bee
02/28/2007, 03:21 PM
do a search , most use instant ocean, i switched to it and never looked back

SeaView
02/28/2007, 04:17 PM
For $5.00 I say get it just to run some tests on it. Could end up being a good find.

cham
02/28/2007, 04:53 PM
Instant Ocean is the most expensive? You guys don't know how to shop. Every single memeber on this board should be able to buy the 5 gallon bucket of IO for $35 out the door price.

hammerswinger
02/28/2007, 04:59 PM
i think it is made by the via aqua people.

BrianCM
02/28/2007, 05:11 PM
i like reef crystals.

AZDesertRat
02/28/2007, 05:31 PM
I am using Ocean Pure and as you can see here I have no problems with it. It mixes up fast, has higher calcium than IO and better alkalinity than Oceanic.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/AJOIII/1-24-07005.jpg

Zestay
02/28/2007, 05:36 PM
bionk he said tropic marin was the most expensive salt..

Medaka
02/28/2007, 05:53 PM
Ditto to what AZDesertRat said about Oceanpure.

Since Marine Depot is down the street from me, I've used quite a bit of Oceanpure for about a year or so, and although I've switched to a different brand now, Oceanpure always worked good for me and I never had a problem with it.

(btw, i switched to the IO/Oceanic combo mix)

GlobalEvan
02/28/2007, 07:08 PM
"Instant Ocean one of the worst salts on the market? It may not have high calcium levels but it's pretty damn good salt otherwise. I'd say its 25+ year track record speaks for itself."

I just read this, that's all.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=936493

machinas
02/28/2007, 07:37 PM
Iv used, IO, Red Sea and TM, Red Sea was good, IO dissolved very poorly, and TM has been the best so far.

edwing206
02/28/2007, 08:26 PM
ok thanks for the help guys.