PDA

View Full Version : *calcium Reactor Question*

Chaotic Reefer4u
02/28/2007, 12:29 AM
if my effluent is 6.7 and my ph. is at 8.2 according to my reefanatic controller that is attached to my calcium reactor, why is my calcium reactor media not melting/dissolving. in fact theres some brown algae diatoms growing inside the reactor on the schuran media. actually it seems like my calcium reactor isnt even working. i tested my calcium it came back as 300 and my alk. was 16. whats going on here! can someone help me...

Yinger
02/28/2007, 12:43 AM
With the schuran media, it needs a lower pH to melt the media. I think its typically around 6.2 or so. The brown algae might be from PO4.

Creetin
02/28/2007, 01:48 AM
Is the reactor in a lighted area? I keep mine in tottal darkness so it wont do that, and esp grow coraline.
Yinger is right some media takes a lower ph to melt, I would bring it down to 6.3 and then lower if need be.

toothman
02/28/2007, 05:51 AM
My effluent is about 6.4 with a two chamber ca reactor so most likely it is around 6.2 in the first chamber. I also use schuran style media from argent chemicals. In 6 months 1/2 of the first chamber is melted. I think you should consider what the ca is in the tank if it is low just turn the bubbles up. If you have a controller just lower the lower setting and turn the bubbles up so it will reach that level. Man that sounds to stupid easy.

Also make sure your circulation pump attached to the ca reactor is going, I would not think algae would grow with such high flow inside the reactor.

Fatboy
02/28/2007, 06:15 AM
Schuran recommends a pH of 6.20 to 6.50 inside te reactor. Some other people are running at 6.0 without the media turning into mush and with a dkH of over 60 in the outlet.

You should measure your dkH output to make sure you dial your reactor correctly.

hawaiianwargod
02/28/2007, 10:16 AM
Chaotic,

I have the same media as yours and I run my ph as low as 6.2-6.1. with no issues at all. Although, I have the effluent collected in a cup with an air pump to take care of co2 build up.
Good luck!

pdkinsel
02/28/2007, 11:36 AM
I run reactor at 6.45-6.5 swing with Reefanatics controller and all is well.