PDA

View Full Version : Alarming Foxface Behaviour

A sea K
02/28/2007, 10:51 PM
I added a Magnificent Foxface to my system on Jan 10 and I have noticed that he will occasionally shed his slime coat. So far it does not seem to have any adverse effect on him.

This is my first go with a Foxface and dont know if it is something normal for them to do. I know the slime coat helps protect the fish but he does this every few days.

Has anyone experianced this or similar behaviour in thier fish, or should I start looking for deeper problems?

Gordonious
02/28/2007, 11:00 PM
I have never head of this happening before, but I haven't kept any of them myself. Try posting about this in the disease forum as well. Photos of it shedding might help as well.

Jon

Michelle L
03/01/2007, 05:02 AM
I have never seen my magnificent do it, but I have read that this is normal. It was mentioned that occasionally their slime coats come off and float around the tank.

Check out this link for FAQ about foxfaces; the slime coat issue is brought up several questions down the list:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rbtfshbehfaqs.htm

A sea K
03/01/2007, 06:19 AM
Gordonius, I would love to post pics but I havent got a clue.

Michelle L, Thank you very much for that link, It was quite informative and put me at ease.

Michelle L
03/01/2007, 11:22 AM
Me too, when I first got mine I had all kinds of questions about them and found that site to be very helpful.

Mine is sort of like a cow in the water; he's a really cool fish although he doesn't do much besides eat! :D

Is yours going into the 210 that you are setting up? He'll do some real damage to any algaes that you have spring up while the tank is going through that stage. Be warned, mine has grown very fast! I would say that he's at least an inch longer than when I got him a few months ago. He gets a lot to eat, which may help his growth spurts, but these guys do get really big.

Pomachantus Paru
03/01/2007, 06:37 PM
Mine does it every couple of weeks, it's preety normal, but still kinda worries everyone when they see it for the first time. Also realized that every time mine foxface does it you can see it has grown.

A sea K
03/01/2007, 07:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9366344#post9366344 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michelle L
Me too, when I first got mine I had all kinds of questions about them and found that site to be very helpful.

Mine is sort of like a cow in the water; he's a really cool fish although he doesn't do much besides eat! :D

Is yours going into the 210 that you are setting up? He'll do some real damage to any algaes that you have spring up while the tank is going through that stage. Be warned, mine has grown very fast! I would say that he's at least an inch longer than when I got him a few months ago. He gets a lot to eat, which may help his growth spurts, but these guys do get really big.

He's definately a cool fish, and has some crazy behavior when he's not eating.

I put him in my 210 to help control some algea problems till I got through the typical algea outbreaks in a new tank. Now that the algea is gone, this guy can really go through the nori and anything else I feed the tank.

The link you gave me also addressed some coloration issues he was exhibiting, but I was mostly concerned with the slime coat. All seems to be normal even if he is a little quirky.

Thanks again, Chris

A sea K
03/01/2007, 07:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9370078#post9370078 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pomachantus Paru
Mine does it every couple of weeks, it's preety normal, but still kinda worries everyone when they see it for the first time. Also realized that every time mine foxface does it you can see it has grown.

Yes the first time he did it I nearly paniced. I have seen the slime floating in the tank before and thought it was from my corals.

Ive only had him a little while but havent noticed any growth yet.

reef bini
12/26/2012, 01:40 PM
I've had foxfaces for 15 years I've never seen this happen
I just got a huge one and its sliming up everyday? Has anyone seen this before?