PDA

View Full Version : Which of these RO/DI systems is better?

jimrawr
02/28/2007, 11:14 PM
I think I am going to purchase one of these tonight, but I would like some input as to which one is better and why. The first one will be around $20-$30 cheaper. I dont know too much about these systems to just looking for some guidance. Are either of these decent systems? Are they both garbage? Weak points about them?

RO/DI 1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/RO6102DINT-Aquarium-Reef-110GPD-RO-2DI-water-filtration_W0QQitemZ120013121502QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46310QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayph otohosting)

RO/DI 2. The first unit on this page that sells for $124 (http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm)

drummereef
02/28/2007, 11:31 PM
I would get the 5 stage at www.thefilterguys.biz Great unit and they have the customer service that ebay doesn't. ;)

jimrawr
02/28/2007, 11:36 PM
Leaving customer service out of the equation, how do the units compare?

jimrawr
02/28/2007, 11:58 PM
Also one more question.. How much water is wasted from these units? Most of it just goes down the drain right? The reason I am asking is because I have well water, and if I am wasting 200 gallons to make a 5gallon bucket of RO/DI, I will drain the well really quickly lol.

Whats the rough percentage of water wasted/produced? If these are accurate and 98% rejection, doesnt that mean 5 / .02 = 250 gallons down the drain?

Indermark
03/01/2007, 02:19 AM
my purely h20 unit does 75GPD and has a ratio of 4:1

xenon
03/01/2007, 02:21 AM
Go with vertical DI filters. They are WAY better than horizontal ones.

The filterguys makes top notch ro/di systems. If your looking for the best get a spectrapure maxcap. :D

jdieck
03/01/2007, 02:33 AM
Filter guys, Your waste will be of 4 gallons for each gallon produced. If you are concerned with the waste and your well pump can put out at least 60 psi into the pipeline, talk to Jim at filter guys and tell him to quote you one extra membrane. Installed in series of the first membrane (Waste of the first feeds the inlet of the second one and the product outlet of both feeding the DI) your waste will be reduced to almost half without perceptible deterioration on the water wuality.

Shagsbeard
03/01/2007, 07:00 AM
You can also store your waste water in a container and use it for irrigation, washing your car, running your washing machine, flushing your toliets.... all sorts of stuff.

virginiadiver69
03/01/2007, 08:07 AM
The one you are looking at from filterguys is just an RO unit. I got the same one when money was tight and then easily added their DI unit to it later. The on-going advice and top notch customer service you will get from them is worth WAY more than the $25 you will save w/ eBay.

r0bin
03/01/2007, 08:12 AM
www.purleyh20.com has a V series for $131.59 with free TDS meter. That includes shipping and a reef central discount. What does everyone think about it.

AZDesertRat
03/01/2007, 08:30 AM
As mentioned by someone earlier, get one with a vertical refillable DI filter, it will give you better water qiuality plus save you money on bulk refills. Don't try to go cheap on RO/DI, it will bite you every time. To get a good unit you will spend $149, for a better one with all the things you will end up buying later anyway but at a higher price its $199. Don't try to cut corners or you give up filter quality, longevity and water quality bot to mention things like a TDS meter, pressure gauge, autoshutoff valve, RO bypass, all things you will very soon fine you will need.

Paintbug
03/01/2007, 08:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9364917#post9364917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by r0bin
www.purleyh20.com has a V series for $131.59 with free TDS meter. That includes shipping and a reef central discount. What does everyone think about it.

thats www.purelyh2o.com the letter O, not the #0. i got lost for a minute LOL.

i myself bought one off of ebay. but when i got mine the cheapest "quality" RO unit was in the $200 range. i got mine with a pressure gauge, TDS meter, and shipping for $125. do i regret getting mine from ebay? no. but now you can get great units for under $150. several of the RC sponsors specialize in RO units, and are always willing to help when you need it. i never had a problem with mine, but its nice to have customer service when you need it. i will say the next step for my unit will be a vertical DI camber. once i get that the money i saved, will be about equal to what you can get right out of the box now days. just my 2ยข.

cowboyswife
03/01/2007, 08:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9364917#post9364917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by r0bin

I have that one, and Im very happy with it.

r0bin
03/01/2007, 09:17 AM
I have a question about the auto shut off thing. I dont see how this can work it you have to attach your unit to a sink using a fuacet adaptor. If you turn on your sink to use the item, nothing is going to turn that off but you turning the knob.

jimrawr
03/01/2007, 09:57 AM
Isnt the DI cartridge on the filterguys unit also horizontal? I thought the DI part is the one with the carbon inside, is that not correct? So like the top part of this unit.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/images/OCEANWAVERO-DI.jpg

jimrawr
03/01/2007, 10:00 AM

How do you get the RC discount????

r0bin
03/01/2007, 10:05 AM
when you check out there is a place for a coupon code, the code is RCDJB8HL.

jimrawr
03/01/2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for that coupon code. It worked :)

So add this item to the list of RO/DI units. And the DI section is verticle. Is this one better?

http://www.purelyh2o.com/product.php?productid=16134

r0bin
03/01/2007, 10:31 AM
I am sorry I don't understand why is it better for the DI to be vertical?

jimrawr
03/01/2007, 10:44 AM
I am not sure I have just heard people saying this before. Anyone care to explain?

AZDesertRat
03/01/2007, 11:50 AM
Several reasons actually. First the standard 10" canister refillable cartridge type DI holds 24 oz of resin instead of 6, 12 or sometimes 16 0z like the horizontals. More resin better equals treatment due to more contact and longer resin life. Add to that a horizontal cartridge usually does not fill with water all the way so you are not coming into contact with all the resin which leads to inefficient filtreation. By not filling up you get channeling and short circuiting.
With a standard vertical 24 oz unit they are plumbed to flow from bottom to top so all resin is wetted and comes into contact with the water being treated. You get full utilization of the resin for better treatment and much longer life, not only due to more resin but also better contact time. They are just more efficient by design than a little hollow tube with some resin bobbing around in it.

jimrawr
03/01/2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks for that post, very insightful. Do you think its safe to say the purelyh2o unit I posted a few posts up is the better of the 3 units then?

Indermark
03/01/2007, 11:55 AM
I think it has to do with the amount of time the water is exposed to the DI resin. I'm sure someone knows and will say something.

Ryan

AZDesertRat
03/01/2007, 12:02 PM
The Optima Vision is a good choice. I would compare it to the comparably priced Ocean Wave+ from www.thefilterguys.biz and the 75 GPD Premium series from www.buckeyefieldsupply.com . All are very similar and would do a good job. I would suggest whetever you buy you get a handheld TDS meter to go along with it as it is something you should use a lot when making water.