PDA

View Full Version : PM Kalk reactor help

reefez
02/28/2007, 11:33 PM
I just bought a used PM Kalk reactor and had no instructions. I know the jist of how to set it up and use it whatt I'm wondering is how often should I have the power head turn on to stir the mix? And how often should I clean it out? And how often does the kalk powder need to be replinished? Thanks..

schneijt
03/01/2007, 12:56 AM
A few minutes once or twice per day will work. If your timer only has 15min intervals, that is fine as well. If you can't dose kalk "fast enough" to maintin your water paramaters, stir it once or twice more during the day. It depends on if you dose kalk 24/7 through the reactor or just in the evening, but if you dose in the evening, I'd have it stir an hour or so before it starts dosing. If you run top-off through it or dose 24/7, then when it stirs isn't that important. But, if you're dosing all day, then I'd probably stir it two or three times evenly spaced throughout the day. The kalk will saturate the water in the reactor and stay in suspension for at least several hours, so the amount of water leaving the reactor will pretty much determine how often it needs to be stirred.

As far as how often you need to clean it, I think every few months is acceptable. Also, as far as replacement, you just need to keep an eye on the bottom of the kalk reactor. I put about a cup of kalk in mine, and watch the bottom when it's not stirring (or not right after it just stopped stirring). If there's a 1/4" or more, I consider that acceptable. If it drops below that or all I can see is "chunks" down there (which would be precipitated metals and other impurities in the kalk), then I put some more kalk in there.

Kalk dosing is far from "scientific" to most people. Just find a strategy and maintenance plan that work for you and stick with it. If any problems come up, address them at that time. With kalk, it's best to start slowly and work from there. It's easy to mess up a tank if you overdose on kalk or aren't careful with it. So, go slow, ask questions, and find out what works the best for you and your tank.

Hope I was of at least a little bit of help. Others will chime in, I'm sure.

-Joe

scuba4ever
03/01/2007, 07:18 AM
Here is a link to the instructions that came with mine...the bare minimum but came be helpful...I am having to clean my reactor out about once a month....and I fill mine with about 2 cups every two weeks...mine is connected to the Top off system...HTH

scuba4ever
03/01/2007, 07:19 AM
oops too early in the morning...lol forgot the link here you go http://www.precisionmarine.com/assets/applets/Kalkreactor.pdf

sorry