PDA

View Full Version : what should i do?

jc286006
03/01/2007, 08:29 PM
hello
i started using a DIY kalkwasser reactor this weekend it is only enabled at night for 6 hours using an aqualifter pump for the dosing pump and to replace evap water on an ATO system. effluent PH measures 12.7-12.8 with Mrs wages lime. this is introduced into the drain from the main tank into the sump/refugium

today i did tests
SG=1.025
PH=8.38 now that lights are turning off PH is up to8.45
Cal=340
Alk=11-12dKH
Amm=0.0
Nitrite=0.0
Nitrate=0.0
Phos=0.06-.07
Temp=79.5 farenheit

i am concerned with the alk level, cal levels,and PH
what can i or should i do?

i have tested RO water for Phos it was 0.0 the only place i can think the phos is coming from is feeding so i have reduced feeding to everyother day and have been running a phosban reactor with phosban for the last 3 weeks. phos went from 0.2 to todays reading via 3- 20 gal WC and the reactor. i hope to have them down to .002 soon the Cyano is retreating more and more everyday!!

i dont have my CA reactor built yet so i will have to dose CA by drip method

i just did a 20 gal water change this past saturday with RO/DI and IO salt. i have quite a few corals in my tank but i wouldnt think they would make me lose from 400 CA after WC on sat to 340 today but i am a virgin in terms to my saltwater experience compared to most here on RC!!

should i be doing something now or just wait a day or two, do another set of tests and see their results before i start getting worried?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/02/2007, 06:15 AM
The pH is fine. The alkalinity is fine, but if you want it lower, add less limewater each day.

You need to use calcium chloride to boost the calcium (the limewater cannot do that at any dose because the alkalinity would rise too much).
IO is a bit low in calcium, and calcium will drop back in each water change if you do not boost it or the tank with calcium chloride (I boost the water change water).

These may help:

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

jc286006
03/04/2007, 06:31 PM
thanks for the reply randy
i will read the links and adjust the calcium slowly with calcium chloride.

have you done any testing on liquid calcium chloride that is available to the concrete industry if so what was the results?i will try and get content reports for the material i have available to me and send them to you to see what you think about it.

thanks james

bertoni
03/05/2007, 06:22 PM
The content reports are never detailed enough to tell much. Personally, I would stick with Dow Flake or food grade materials. You could try the product you mentioned, but it might cause problems. Testing such products is rather involved and expensive.

jc286006
03/05/2007, 10:01 PM
ok thanks for the reply guess ill have to try and find some dowflake or something similar