PDA

View Full Version : Fragging 101?

Aristotle
03/01/2007, 10:56 PM
Okay. I'm learning more about fish every day, and I continue to hurt my head trying to research water chemistry, lighting and electricity, and reef plumbing (I'm not exactly the DIY type). One topic I've found more elusive than any of those is the art of coral fragging. I'm looking for tips, or just a nod in the direction of a book or website that covers the topic best. I've purchased a stack of books that I haven't had time to read, so I may even own the best source already.

I've watched someone at the LFS cut up a coral and paste it to pieces of rubble. That scares me, but I get the concept well enough... But the majority of the corals I want to keep are soft (and fast growing) and the aquascaping I have in mind won't allow for the removal of rocks to perform fragging outside of the tank. I'm looking at green star polyps, mushrooms, and zoanthids. I expect I'll need to learn how to restrict all 3 if I want to maintain the tank I am envisioning. I've seen reference to "scraping" but if that is exactly what it sounds like, it sounds it could get messy in the water.

smacdone
03/01/2007, 11:27 PM
For Zoos fragging the one thing i know is you probably want to have a side bucket with saltwater in it and cut them in that. In addition get some gloves if you are handling zoos especially cutting them as they can be Poisonous to you and in addition you want to limit the chemical release into your main tank.

Paintbug
03/02/2007, 09:46 AM
when fragging corals, safety first!! get some non-powdered latex gloves, as well as eye protection! theres some great articles on coral propagation here http://www.garf.org/ . i sent you a PM also. :)