PDA

View Full Version : setting up a softie tank

Templeflower
03/02/2007, 06:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up my (first) 75 gallon softie tank.

I have some questions:

What type of/how much flow should I shoot for? Is an 800-850 GPH return pump ok for my sump? Should I add some powerheads in the display for additional current? Or is that going overboard? (I'm also going to have a HOB refugium with chaeto for nutrient exportation and pod production for my very eventual dragonet)

Can someone explain the "types" of flow? I've been reading as many of the reefkeeping articles as I can, but terms such as "laminar flow" still mystify me... Let alone how to achieve them in the tank! (Or if they're even necessary :confused: )

Also, I currently have a 4' dual bulb PC fixture. I'm planning on putting my actinics in that and adding some T5s or VHO but wasn't sure how many would be neccessary?

I appreciate any help and advice anyone is willing to give me! I've been reasearching this setup for the last 6 months, and am trying to get my ducks in a row before I start putting out my hard earned $$! Thanks!!!

bigsittingrock
03/02/2007, 07:00 AM
I think the return pump would work. I would not go any less though. You should also need some power heads in the tank as well. One on each side. As far as lighting, you'll want at least 3 watts per gallon.

Nagel
03/03/2007, 12:57 AM
The return pump will work, but my thoughts are, its a return pump, not a flow pump (in other words, you can go lower, that increases the waters time in the sump and makes you skim more efficiently). You dont need massive flow through the sump (that only adds microbubbles).

In my 75 when it was up (before it was merged into the 300), it was sumpless, but I had 5 maxijets in there, mostly 900's and 1200's.

Types of flow:

Direct - point a powerhead right at the coral. Very bad. most corals will not tolerate extended current in a single direction

Laminar - similar to direct. Pretty much think of a straight line, all the time.

Random - use a wavemaker, point your powerheads towards walls so the water "bounces" off of them, and aim powerheads near each other. Think turbulance..

HTH

michaeldaly
03/03/2007, 06:17 AM
In my 65g tank I have a spray bar operated by a 625g/h powerhead, I have a 250g/h powerhead pointed down the length of the tank, I have a 500g/h powerhead connected to a squid. My return pump is 875g/h.

dendro982
03/05/2007, 08:52 AM
The closest approximation of the laminar flow is produced by Seio powerheads. It has the wide nozzle and a soft flow on touch - less forceful than pointed jet of Maxi-Jet1200 ( just ~290 gph and 20W).

I had 2 of the Seio 620 (~600 gph and only 8W each) in 90g tank with some softies, plus ~300 gph return pump - quite good for the softies. In other, small tanks, the similar turnover - 20-25 tank volumes per hour, same result.

You can also use the rotating attachment to the output of the pump or powerhead - this way the direction of the flow will change all the time.