PDA

View Full Version : Is High Flow BB better for LPS and Softies or DSB with lower flow ?

kamla
03/02/2007, 03:49 PM
Is High Flow BB better for LPS and Softies or DSB with lower flow ?

Hi guys…
I am planning to convert my 72 FW tank into a reef tank…

I Plan to keep Mainly LPS and Softies.

In my 29 gal tank I had a problem with Flow, if I increased the flow my Sand bed would go Nuts… and if i reduced the flow then crap would settle in some spots.
I tried just about every type of placement of the PH and tried random flow even...

So I am think of making my 72 a BB..

But most BB I have seen are SPS, will BB work with LPS and Softies.

What do you guys think?
Is High Flow BB better for LPS and Softies or DSB with lower flow ?
Also would a BB tank have enough nutrients for the LPS and Softies?

Thanks for your help.

Rouselb
03/03/2007, 08:46 AM
Tanks with high flow rates need a more corse substrate. Use FL. CC or something that is around #2 or larger. I personally have 2000 gph return + 2 streams 6100 + vortech and no issues with the substrate (FL CC and Grey Coast). IMO a reef tank always looks better with substrate.
BB vs DSB is a personal pref. Substrate is not needed to keep LPS. High flow is not needed to keep LPS, just a random pattern. Good luck.

kamla
03/03/2007, 05:12 PM
thax...

But i was warned against CC, because it traps deturts ???

Kamla

Rouselb
03/04/2007, 08:06 AM
Many opinions on this, just like BB vs DSB. I have used CC for over 2 yrs now. I recommend only 1-2" in the main tank for aesthetics. It works well for me. Others use fine oolitic aragonite.
The key is to remember to do the routine water changes and siphoning. Hope that helps