PDA

View Full Version : Chiller setup questions

dguest98
03/02/2007, 05:15 PM
I havent seen much about chillers so maybe you can help.

What does the flow range mean (eg 360-700) and do you want to be on the high side or middle. If the range is up to 700 would a mag 5 or 7 be better?

Can you set up a aquacontroller to turn on the pump and chiller at the same time so the pump does not have to run all the time. Will this leave the water in the lines to get bad or is there any other solution.

Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dguest98
03/03/2007, 12:17 AM
Im gonna bump myself, you guys have rocked with advice and Im lost on this chiller deal, not many threads.

Navyblue
03/03/2007, 08:39 AM
IMO it is not going to matter much in actual operation, as long as you stay in the range specified. Personally I'll aim for nearer to the upper limit.

To have the pump and chiller turned on at the same time, you just need to split the power outlet of the controller and have both your chiller and the pump hooked on to it. But I'd worry about what a frequent on/off would do to the pump.

dguest98
03/03/2007, 09:30 AM
will that mess up a mag7 turning it on and off? Since I got a 1/3 hp chiller will it turn on less to keep my 125 four degrees cooler.

Navyblue
03/03/2007, 09:35 AM
Turning a pump on and off frequently will definitely shorten its lifespan, but I can't tell you by how much. Personally I'd leave the pump on. A pump of that rating don't consume much power if you compare it to lighting a reef, and the heat it puts out is negligible especially considering that you have a chiller.

BruiseAndy
03/03/2007, 09:46 AM
Leave the pump on all the time. Mor flow the better through chiller. Leaving the pump on will extend life of chiller as well.

Jefe12234
03/03/2007, 10:19 AM
I've been looking into this issue recently since I will be buying a chiller this spring. The minimum flow rate is to prevent the chiller from short cycling and to prevent biofilm buildup in the chiller. Short cycling is when the chiller cycles on and off too quickly. If the chiller starts up less than 10 minutes after it shut off, then you probably are not meeting the minimum flow rate. I would guess the maximum flow rate is to avoid excessive pressure in the chiller and to avoid wasting unnecessary energy.

As for turning the pump on and off, probably not a good idea. There are more energy efficient pumps than the Mag-Drives if that's a concern. For running my chiller I'm looking at a Quiet One 3000 which uses about half as much energy as a comparable Mag-Drive.

dguest98
03/03/2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info, So my current prime says 720 max flow so a 700 would be good? Also as long as my returns can handle it which Im sure they can I was thinking about running the return right to the tank would this be ok?

dguest98
03/03/2007, 10:47 AM
Looked at the quiet one and I think I will get one of them for my pump.

Navyblue
03/03/2007, 11:10 AM
I think a 700 will be good. As you'll never actually get 700 gph due to elbows and turns.

LeeMc
03/03/2007, 01:15 PM
If you exceed the max flow rate then the water will not cool adequately as it passes through. This will result in the compressor staying on for long periods. On the other side, if you do not meet the miniumum the unit will "overcool" the water as it flows causing it to fequently cycle as Jefe mentions. If the pump fails while the chiller is on you run the risk of icing unless the unit has a safety - not good. I suggest you plumb the unit into the output of the circ pump and use a gate (vs ball) valve to throttle the flow through the unit.

dguest98
03/03/2007, 01:30 PM
wont that be to little return flow for my system, I am using a mag 9.5 for my return and when it goes I.m going to replace it with a 12. I was thinking of making this kind of like a closed loop and pull the water from the sump but return it directly to the tank with a nozzle in the middle

Navyblue
03/03/2007, 01:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9384158#post9384158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LeeMc
On the other side, if you do not meet the miniumum the unit will "overcool" the water as it flows causing it to fequently cycle as Jefe mentions.

Actually, this won't happen if he is using an external temperature controller.

Navyblue
03/03/2007, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9384248#post9384248 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dguest98
wont that be to little return flow for my system, I am using a mag 9.5 for my return and when it goes I.m going to replace it with a 12. I was thinking of making this kind of like a closed loop and pull the water from the sump but return it directly to the tank with a nozzle in the middle

You can always add another return pump, if the pump with the chiller is too small for overall flow.

Personally, I don't like to plumb my chiller inline of the return as with the fittings and head it is hard to know what is the resultant flowrate. In my set up I run a close loop within my sump, the plus is I have more stable temperature in my display, the downside is if my return fail my system can be cooked

dguest98
03/03/2007, 02:29 PM
i will be using an aquacontroller 3 to control everything. I guess I could use one pump to return to one return and use the other pump to run through the chiller and then to the other return. This would mean that my return would always have a backup. What is the overflow capacity on the AGA 600 gph per right?

dguest98
03/03/2007, 02:32 PM
so when you say that you have a more stable temp in your display, would it not be the same if I ran the chiller water into the main display. I figure I might as well get some flow in the main display out of another pump rather than just sending it back to the sump.

Navyblue
03/03/2007, 08:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9384670#post9384670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dguest98
so when you say that you have a more stable temp in your display, would it not be the same if I ran the chiller water into the main display. I figure I might as well get some flow in the main display out of another pump rather than just sending it back to the sump.

Assuming that my chiller temperature control fluctuate at +/-2 deg, if I hook it to my display, that will be the fluctuation I get in my display, may be less a little due to the inflow from the sump which counter act with the warmer water from the sump.

Where as when I run a close loop in the sump, I'd have a supposedly fluctuation of +/- 2 deg in the sump. But this cooler water will be trickled back into the display and the heat from the lighting will be used to counter the cold water from the sump, resulting in lesser fluctuation.

My chiller specification says +/- 2 deg C, on my display sometimes I get +/- 0.8 deg C, but most of the time I get +/- 0.6 deg C. I was thinking of getting some sort of temperature controller someday but I guess I don't need it.

Navyblue
03/03/2007, 08:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9384648#post9384648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dguest98
i will be using an aquacontroller 3 to control everything. I guess I could use one pump to return to one return and use the other pump to run through the chiller and then to the other return. This would mean that my return would always have a backup. What is the overflow capacity on the AGA 600 gph per right?

To have a backup is always a good idea. But I don't know what is the overflow capacity of your tank. My suggestion will be to have a valve in each of the return, it is a good for maintenance even though you are not going to use it to throttle your flow.

LeeMc
03/05/2007, 10:46 AM
My post was not clear (sorry). My suggstion is to divert some of the flow off the circ pump main output line using a gate valve to control the flow through the chiller, i.e., a "U". This allows you to avoid a second pump and cost (wattage) and let's you "titrate" the cooling effect in concert with your choice of controller. Although it diverts some of the flow it will not significantly affect the total flow volume of the main pump.

dguest98
03/05/2007, 03:03 PM
thanks for the tips, so the water coming out of the chiller will be noticably cooler, would this be terrible to pump directly into the tank as I guess it would diffuse quickly. Im thinking of when you are swimming in the ocean every once and a while you get hit with a cold blast of water.

dguest98
03/05/2007, 03:08 PM
Ok I am going to be using a quiet one 3000 in my sump to feed the Current USA prime tower 1/3 hp chiller. The output will flow directly back to the tank and exit via a 3/4 inch sea swirl. I figure this gives me 600 gph in my tank and the ocillation will dispurse the cooler water better. Oh yeah I will control my temp with a aquacontroller 3 that I am ordering today. Any holes in my plan?