PDA

View Full Version : Air bubble in Tang's eye?

promod69camaro
03/02/2007, 05:49 PM
I have a yellow tang that has an air bubble in its eye. Both eyes are bulging a little, but one more than the other and that one has an air bubble in it.
I have had this tang for about 4 years and am going out of town tomorrow for a week and don't want to come home to a dead family member.
What could this be?

bstone
03/02/2007, 07:01 PM
Its called pop-eye. You need to do a search and read up on it. Basically it is an infection, if it was one eye then it could be that he just scratched it. But, both eyes most likely indicates an infection of some sort. I have had tangs get it before, REAL BAD, like the eye was about to explode. But, the tang got better. So, try to feed it a proper diet and make sure you read up on it here in RC forums. Good Luck!

promod69camaro
03/02/2007, 08:51 PM
I guess I will have to wait it out and see what happens. I have never seen air bubbles in the eye before. Its like someone injected air in the eye. Its still eating so maybe it will just go away naturally.
Thanks

bstone
03/02/2007, 08:57 PM
My understanding that it is actual a gas, but caused by the infection. Or, a biuld-up of fluid from the infection. I would expect it to get much worse. It will look like it is about to explode. So, don't worry just make sure he is eating and most of the time they survive this. Is the eye cloudy? If not this is a good sign. But, like I said, good chance it will get much worse the eye will buldge out very far.

promod69camaro
03/02/2007, 09:44 PM
The eye is clear and the fish is still eating. Maybe it will get over this without any futher complication.
Thanks for the input.
Shawn

jmicky41
03/02/2007, 11:46 PM
Look up PaulB, he has mentioned this many times and has a way to fix it.

xxseawolf
03/03/2007, 11:32 AM
my coral beauty just got, looked real bad. left it alone and it is starting to get better.

alikatoes
03/03/2007, 10:52 PM
I have a large male Rhomboid with it too. I am going to try and take it down to 130ft seawater and see if the pressure will close the bubble. I am even thinking about using a hypodermic needle to pop to bubble if the recompression doesnt work, then of course treat for infection. Anyone ever here of recompression for this? I heard the theory from a wholesaler and thought id try just for the hell of it.