PDA

View Full Version : Fiji Yellow Leather closed

jimrawr
03/02/2007, 08:53 PM
Is it normal for a Fiji Yellow Leather to close for a few days at a time? I have had this now for about 7-10 days or so and its usually opened up during the day time, but all yesterday and today it stayed closed.

Water parameters are all fine and everything else seems to be doing well. Is this normal behavior?

jimrawr
03/02/2007, 09:16 PM
Here are some pics so you can get an idea..

http://members.cox.net/jimrawr/IMG_0868.jpg
http://members.cox.net/jimrawr/IMG_0869.jpg

sir_dudeguy
03/02/2007, 10:39 PM
ya mine does the same thing every now and then. I also found that it does NOT change lighting schedules to fit your timeframes very well.

For example i wanted to switch my light schedule to go from like 8 pm, till like 7 or so am the next morning. All my gsp, shrooms, xenia, kenya tree, and even other toadstool leathers open up like normal when i switch the light times. But the fiji yellow never takes to that very well. Once its established to a time, it likes to stay to that. So i ran my lights to the new schedule for about a week....it was the only coral that would not open during the new schedule. The lights were off during the day tho, so ambient light would shine into the tank. Well i guess that the fiji recognized that as its normal light, so it would open during that time still lol.

But mine does this from time to time anyways...like if i bump it or something. Its pretty picky unfortunately.

jimrawr
03/02/2007, 10:43 PM
Ok, so I shouldnt worry about it at this point? How long do they typically close up for? I mean if its like this in 1 week should I be concerned yet?

sir_dudeguy
03/03/2007, 10:58 AM
well mines been closed for around 4 days or so before, but it always opens up. I'd maybe give it a week. Just make sure its not like...decaying or anything like that, you know?

what are all your params btw?

jimrawr
03/03/2007, 11:02 AM
Parameters are all fine as of last night. Havent checked today.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrates: <5
pH: 8.1-8.2
Alk: 9.6 dKH
Calc:420
SG: 1.025
Temp: 80

sir_dudeguy
03/03/2007, 11:30 AM
ya your params are fine. Haver you looked at the thing really really close to make sure its not got a spot thats like dieing off of it? Or to make sure nothing is eating it from somewhere? I saw one case where a guy had one that was being eaten by something from the inside out. I see this as very unlikely lol, but it could happen i spose..

Divedog
03/04/2007, 08:16 PM
I have been experiencing the same issues as you have. I have had my toad stools for approx five months. They have always been open and full with the exception of an odd day here and there. My water as yours if fine.

One thing I noticed looking at the photos of your tank and mine we have a fish in common. The flame angel. Every once in a while the flame is spending more time in and around the corals. I am starting to believe it is taking bits out of it.

This may or may not be the cause but as you are I am searching out a solution. Unfortunatley, I am starting to believe it is my flame.

jimrawr
03/04/2007, 10:57 PM
It started opening back up today and was almost fully extended.. only thing is polyps still not coming out. I hope to see them tomorrow

jimrawr
03/05/2007, 11:51 AM
Polyps extended today :) Looks like its doing good again. I dont know why it was closed up for about 3 or 4 days..

DJ88©
03/05/2007, 01:11 PM
it is completely normal for s. elegans to do this. Mine does all the time.