PDA

View Full Version : Heniochus Black and White Reef Safe?

oli5
03/03/2007, 02:31 AM
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of making my stocklist for my tank and had a question. On various sites, it states that the heniochus black and white is compatible with reefs with caution, or that it's not. Has anybody kept one with soft corals because that's pretty much all I would like to keep. Also (I know I know, I said one question, sorry for living), would just feeding him a lot keep him from doing so? Thanks everyone.

Peter Eichler
03/03/2007, 02:34 AM
It's probably not worth the risk and a 75 gallon is a little small for a Butterfly like that.

UnderwaterExotic
03/03/2007, 05:47 AM
DEF NOT, I know from experience. They munch or mine munched everything!

scumonkey
03/03/2007, 12:04 PM
There are a few kinds of Henis...
one is safe-ish- "H. diphreutes", the others not at all.

this info might also help....
BLACK & WHITE HENIOCHUS

The Black & White Heniochus Butterfly – Heniochus diphreutes – – has a base color of white with two black stripes, yellow dorsal and caudal fins and black marks above the eyes with an elongated white dorsal filament, which moves like a banner while swimming. This species is reef safe but can be confused with the Heniochus acuminatus which is also referred to as a Bannerfish and is not reef safe, the difference between the two is that in the Heniochus diphreutes has a more rounded breast, less protruding snout, and its second black band ends at the corner of the anal fin. This species is exclusively from Hawaii. This Butterfly can reach sizes of 7 inches we suggest a tank of at least 100 gallons or larger and that they are with other peaceful fish. They will school in captivity but all individuals of the group should be added at the same time. The Black & White Heniochus may not get along with other species of Butterfly’s.

Heniochus Butterflies are Omnivore’s in their diet which can consists of flake or small pellets, chopped foods like seafood meats & vegetables, marine algae, vitamin enriched brine shrimp, live foods like worms and mysis shrimp.Suggest feeding at least 3 times daily.

oli5
03/03/2007, 06:43 PM
So is there anyone who has kept the acuminatus heniochus in their soft coral tank? What about the diphreutes? If I feed them a lot won't they not eat the soft coral/mushrooms? Thanks.

NoSchwag
03/03/2007, 06:44 PM
I have the "reef safe" kind. It didn't bother the corals, but loved the snails.

oli5
03/03/2007, 07:01 PM
What! So that means he'll eat my snails too?