PDA

View Full Version : GFCI tripping

john fidler
03/03/2007, 09:31 AM
Hi,
Just hooked up my 48" TX5 Aquactinics T5 fixture (5 x 54w T5HO). I am using a Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper 2 controller and have the actinics plugged into channel 4 and the white into channel 8 (both supposed to be used for lighting).

When the actinics are on everyhting is fine, but when the the whites and fan come on, my poprtable GFCI (plug-in type) trips off. I removed the GFCI to test and everything works fine in the plug outlet (no overload or tripping of circuit breaker).

Any ideas what's wrong? Bad GFCI plug-in (but it works without the lights)?

Obviously would like to reinstall the GFCI. My situation makes it difficult to install a permanent GFCI plug due to access problems.

(Also, posted this in both sponsor forums)

Thanks,
John

Jefe12234
03/03/2007, 09:59 AM
I have had bad luck with a portable GFCI in the past and I've heard the same from others. What I do now is buy a regular GFCI receptacle with cover plate, a plastic receptacle box (not sure what they're called, but found in the electrical section of Home Depot, etc), and a thick power cord (I just cut this off of a $3 power strip). Then I just wire the receptacle into the box which has a hole for the cord to come out, and you've got a portable GFCI made out of a more reliable receptacle. I use one of these on each of my two tanks and they work great.

john fidler
03/03/2007, 10:04 AM
Jefe,

That's a great idea - never thought of that.

Thanks, think I will give it a try. I even have some old power strips laying around from which I could get the cord part.

Thanks again.

atvdave
03/03/2007, 10:46 AM
I also have a Aquactinics T5 fixture that trips the portable GFCI's.
Tom at Aquactinics said it was the high frequency from the ballast that trips the GFCI's.

I never tried Jefe's method but it looks promising. Just make sure you don't get the Hot & neutral lines swapped.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/el_cords_outlets_wiring/article/0,2037,DIY_13803_2269225,00.html

gizzatown
03/03/2007, 12:58 PM
I had the same issue with my nova extreme fixture, I sold it and upgraded lights since then but I noticed on my icecap 660 ballast, which drives vho acintics, if the light bulbs have a poor connection in the sockets it will trip the gfi. Meaning on my setup if the bulbs are not turned into just the right spot the gfi trips.I never looked into it on my t5 fixture just ran it on a regular outlet. Now i wonder if it was the same problem. Just my $0.02.