PDA

View Full Version : pentagon or rectangel ???????

Paradi
03/03/2007, 04:43 PM
hi guys, i know that you can help me, i live in a condo , 4th floor, and iam thinking of building a new tank, iam concerned about the weight thing, also cant decide, a corner pentagon or a normal rectangular, iam planning to build a 180 G FOWLR , would you please help me decide? and what about the weight thing ? thank you :):confused:

Ehgemus
03/03/2007, 05:00 PM
Rectangle for me, I have a 46g bowfront and it is a very nice tank but it will be my last bowfront.
Taking pictures sucks
Building stands and canopies sucks.

Paradi
03/03/2007, 05:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9385546#post9385546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Harold Edwards
Rectangle for me, I have a 46g bowfront and it is a very nice tank but it will be my last bowfront.
Taking pictures sucks
Building stands and canopies sucks.

thank you Harold for the reply, but i didnt mean a bowfront , i meant this one in the picture, so what do you think ?

http://www.iasaquariums.com/images/photo/styles/15.gif

Ehgemus
03/03/2007, 06:46 PM
I thank it would be a vary nice tank. I'm just not a fan of curved glass. but with your diamond shape tank, it might not be as bad.

TheGrog
03/03/2007, 09:00 PM
If worried about weight, then go with rectangle. It dispurses the weight over a greater surface area and lessens stress. Especially when talking about 180 gallons. If you were talking 40-50 gallons, no real difference IMO. Not to mention the rectangle tank is more affordable 9relatively speaking of course).

Rhodophyta
03/03/2007, 10:17 PM
I've built a couple of those five sided tanks, and they are neat. Both were glass front plywood tanks, one 20" deep, the other 30". Basically they have a 48" x 48" footprint, but with one corner diagonally cut off and replaced with glass. If you have rows of tanks, these tanks fit in the corner with other tanks on each side.

jessezm
03/03/2007, 10:17 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but if this helps you decide at all, here's a link to my 200g pentagon build that I'm in the middle of. I love having so much depth from the front to the back corner.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=9385257#post9385257

jessezm
03/03/2007, 10:22 PM
Another thought I had, though, and I'm not sure if this has any validity to it, is that I wonder if large FOWLR types of fish would have more back-and-forth swimming room that they need in a longer rectangular tank versus a pentagon? I guess it depends on what you put in there, but I would think that certain fish might do better if they had greater lengths available for swimming. Having said that, though, just looking into my 200g pentagon, it looks like there won't be any lack of room...

coyoteseven
03/03/2007, 10:43 PM
As an owner of a 44g pent, I would not buy one again and go for a standard square/rectangular tank. The design of the pent basically confines you to setting it up in a room corner while the standard tank can be placed almost anywhere in the room.

If you like the pent style, go for it... mine was my first, last and only non-standard tank I'll ever buy again.

Paradi
03/04/2007, 12:22 AM
guys this is great info, feels good talking to you, iam not an expert as you are, and after i read all your great opinions, i decided a rectangular one, i liked the pentagon shape coz it looks neat and new, but i cant see anyone who recommend it even the owners of a pentagon, i cant find words to thank you guys , you're the best

Rhodophyta
03/04/2007, 06:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9388509#post9388509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paradi
guys this is great info, feels good talking to you, iam not an expert as you are, and after i read all your great opinions, i decided a rectangular one, i liked the pentagon shape coz it looks neat and new, but i cant see anyone who recommend it even the owners of a pentagon, i cant find words to thank you guys , you're the best Like I said, they are neat. I am not talking about a puny penta like a 44. They do not become really neat until you have a large tank. I built two, one 220 gallon and one 330 gallon. One really neat thing is that you have four walls of rockwork you can stack up. That gives you over ten feet of potential coral sites, and because of the 45 degree angle of the glass, (the way water/glass interface alters perspective) the two long walls merge visually into a single wall and blend with the end walls.

coyoteseven
03/04/2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Rhodophyta
Like I said, they are neat. I am not talking about a puny penta like a 44. They do not become really neat until you have a large tank. I built two, one 220 gallon and one 330 gallon.
Now you're talking! Shoot, if I could afford a tank THAT big in any configuration, I would definitely find a place for it. :D